Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I posted a couple of weeks ago about using a "one man bleeder system" in response to someone having trouble with air in the brake lines. The little system works very well, and is great for the "do it your selfer." I wrote a lengthy step by step report on how to use the one man bleeder. Should be easy to find in the archives.

My bottle kit is pretty much like the first one shown on the website, except that mine has a magnet affixed to the back side of the bottle, instead of the stainless steel wire holder hook. No big deal. My unit does not have a pump, and I don't see an advantage having one.

I was wondering which system he meant also?

The pressure type - tank with gauge - pressurizes the master cyl.

Open an bleeder -> out comes the fluid.

I like the vacuum type (Mity Vac or my home made system)

Sucks the fluid through the system.

If you use the brake pedal to bleed them, listen to the Roosters method.

Do not push the brake pedal to the floor.

The bottom part of the MC may have crud that gets dragged up onto the seals.

My EZ bleed -vacuum pump and vacuum flask.

ezbleed.jpg

I like the vacuum type (Mity Vac or my home made system)

Sucks the fluid through the system.

I've used the Mity Vac on several cars with pretty much no issues. If the goober that fits onto the bleeder nipple doesn't seal well it will suck air in and make you think you're getting lots of air out of the brake lines when you aren't, so be aware of that.

Keith

I am getting ready to sell my 97 OBW limited that I just installed a 2.2 in and I noticed the brake fluid is brown. I searched the web for instructions if it were to be a one man job and came across this DIY type tool. Has anyone used this before, if so how did it work? http://www.motiveproducts.com/02bleeders.html

I have one of their "power bleeders". I am pretty sure it's the universal one that's listed near the bottom of their list. I emailed them and they responded with the correct item for my Subarus. I really like it a lot. You'll only get air in the system if you use it improperly...like letting the brake fluid get low in the pressurized bottle, using too much pressure, or not making sure you get a good seal on top. Works well in both of our cars and a couple of friends have borrowed it and like it a lot as well.

Sometimes the vacuum bleed kits include a small tube of silicone grease to help with the sucking air in around the bleeder issue. For not too much $ I made a homemade setup kind of like Skip's out of an old 10 gallon portable air tank and one of those compressed air powered vacuum pullers from harbor freight.