Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help me decide on a newer outback

Well, it looks like my car is just about sold...so I've been narrowing my search for a replacement. I am going to stick with an Outback, just newer and a Automatic.

My options are

2004 LL Bean ~50,000miles

or

2005 LL Bean ~50,000miles

Both are about the same price, the 2005 is actually a lower asking price, but I think I have more room to work with the '04

So my question is; What would you do?

I hear that the '05+ don't handle the road as well as the previous generations. I hear that the '05+ feel more like a suv.

I do not want that, if it is true. I want a outback that still handles the road like a car.

Of course I am going to test drive them, just wanted to see what you folks think.

I have owned a 97 OBW, an 02 OBW LTD and presently own an 07 OBW LTD. My wife and I both felt that the 02 was a far improvement over the 97, and our 07 is that much improved again over the 02. It handles better, has more get up and go than the 02, has a classier interior, and the big plus ... you can flip down the rear seats with the headrests attached to get a flat cargo area, without first having to remove the 3 headrests, then flipping the rear seat bottom forward before folding down the rear seat backs. Putting back up the older generation rearseats also involved having to sort out the rear seatbelts as well, because they really didn't stay that well in their stowage ports when folded forward. Also, it finally appears that the latest generation has put the head gasket problem to rest.

I have owned a 97 OBW, an 02 OBW LTD and presently own an 07 OBW LTD. My wife and I both felt that the 02 was a far improvement over the 97, and our 07 is that much improved again over the 02. It handles better, has more get up and go than the 02, has a classier interior, and the big plus ... you can flip down the rear seats with the headrests attached to get a flat cargo area, without first having to remove the 3 headrests, then flipping the rear seat bottom forward before folding down the rear seat backs. Putting back up the older generation rearseats also involved having to sort out the rear seatbelts as well, because they really didn't stay that well in their stowage ports when folded forward. Also, it finally appears that the latest generation has put the head gasket problem to rest.

We owned a '00 (which we loved) and now have an '06 ... everything gbhrps said.

Get the '05, hands down.

Our Subarus: '78, '87 (2), '95, '00 '05, each was a quantum leap in comfort, fit & finish, and drivability.

i think the 05 is lighter than the 04 too... not 100% sure though...

but i'd say go for the 05, i have an OBXT, and the handling quite a bit different from my lifted OBS w/ no swaybars.... in a good way...

The ride is alot smoother, and the interior is (in my opinion) alot nicer in the 05's.

Also, i think there's more aftermarket support for the 05 Outback for handling and stuff, swaybars, etc.. because it's pretty much the same as the legacy GT.

Go w/ the 05, it's closer, and the silver two tone is hotttt! ;)

Oh yeah, i think the 05 has the gun-metal grey rims? :slobber: wanna trade w/ my OBXT rims? :grin:

We have an 05 OBW at home, and the dash is just so much nicer as the 04. Keep in mind that its a whole different car.

The 05 is much stiffer and stronger (which is safer) althought 04 is also safer than many competitors. The 05 also has dual stage airbags, curtains and as well more modern look.

The '04 is beautiful. It's got awesome amenities.

However...

The '05 is MORE stylish inside, is faster, safer, handles better (the body style change brought suspension changes that make it handle wonderfully). If anything, the '04 will handle like an SUV when compared to the '05.

I'd say go for the '05 (but dang, I like that monotone black so darn much, and the two-tone gray/silver is so plain...)

We have two 06 outback wagons (auto transmission) as company cars, and they are very nice -- I think the handling is very good -- certainly not like Ford Explorers, which I can't stand, and certainly would never take out in the snow for fear of crashing. Certainly a step ahead of my dad's '96 outback, which itself is a step ahead of my EA82 wagon.

They do seem rather sluggish compared to my old wagon (actual speed is higher of course, but they just don't feel like a little rally car any more).

Also on the color issue... Black is insane to keep clean :dead:

Yeah, black is hard to keep clean -- possibly even harder than white. On the other hand, my GL wagon was weird charcoal gray/brown -- exactly the color of pavement/dirt. I guess that's easier to keep "clean".... :rolleyes: