Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Buzzing sound by defroster vents

Guest jp07031993

When I drive my 2002 Outback around 70-75 mph, I hear an annoying, buzzing sound that seems to be coming from inside the dashboard near the defroster vents (mostly by driver's side). I have taken my car into the dealership three times, but they can't figure it out. Has anyone else ever heard of this problem?

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

Maybe its the defroster vent itself. I think the driver side one is 'directable' back-and forth(for better defrosting in front of the driver) and maybe it's loose/broken. Might have to jam a piece of toothpick in it or something.

let us know

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest Brus Brother

I had windshield replaced after it cracked. After that, there was a very annoying whining at high speeds that was difficult to locate. The installer resealed the trim around the windshield and that fixed the problem. Try taping around the windshield exterior rubber gasket with adhesive tape and see if it modifies your sound problem. Alternatively, to idagnose the source, try taping off the vent you suspect as it seems from your post to be related to the flow of air.

Guest Sydfloyd44

Brus has the right idea. When we have a problem that *might* me related to the windshield, we will test drive it and piece by piece, place tape over the exterior windshield moldings. Best to use a wide (2") masking tape. Only do 1 section at a time. (drivers A pillar, test drive, then top moldings, test drive, then pass A pillar) What you are doing it trying to redirect the airflow to see if it changes the sound. If it still continues, try removing the wipers one at a time, test driving in between. It is also possible it could be your side mirror. (lexus just came out with a fix for their sound problem from the side mirrors!)

Also make sure the cowl cover is properly seated and sealed against the windshield. (cowl cover: black piece across the bottom of the windshield along the edge of the hood)

One last thing I can tell you. Sounds that you hear inside your car may sound like they are right in front of you. It is possible that it is not where you think it is! I use a stethoscope (yes, like doctors use) with a long metal tube on the end. This helps me locate the sound more specifically. If you are positive it is the vent, nevermind on that.

Just keep in mind that if you do any of these tests, BE CAREFUL!!!! Especially at the speeds you are talking about!! It is easy to get caught up in trying to test for the problem and forget you are driving a 2,000 lb piece of metal at 70 mph. The sound doesn't mean much after you get wrapped around a tree!!!!! I have had some close calls myself doing this. (at least they were customer cars!!! ;)

One last note. I had a piece of plastic make its way into the blower for the fan under the passenger dash. This made a horrible humming sound but only when the fan was on. As I turned the fan on higher, the louder the sound would get. Just a thought?

Guest remarcable

My advice is to have someone else drive the car at speed while you sit in the passenger seat and search for the noise.

You could also ride on the hood of the car to check for noises up front, but the wind shear can be tricky to hear noises over.

:rollin:

Guest Sweet82

Sounds to me like you have a leaf or piece of something hung up in your defrost system.

Just a thought:rolleyes:

Glenn

82 Hatch, No defrost system!:eek: