Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1989 Syncro

Hawkins

I just found a 1990 2.2 FI with with 85,000 miles for $350.00.??

You need more than just the engine. You need the correct ECU, complete wiring harness, ignitor, main and fuel pump relays and more. The best place to start is by reviewing all the files in the Subaru/Vanagon yahoogroup and this site

http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/

The '90 engine is an OBDII engine, a little more work with the wiring harness. I have a 2.2L Vanaru Weekender. It runs great but I hear that for the Synchro, especially a Westy, the extra HP of the SOHC 2.5 is preferable.

However, the 2.2 is a great little engine. If it indeed only has 85K miles, that is right in the sweet spot.

-Kent

Concord, NC

• 2 weeks later...
Dude, 1990 is an OBDI or OBDZERO engine.

Sorry, brain fart.

Hawkins, the 2.2 is a great engine but you might find it just barely adequate for a syncro. I have a 2.2 in my (lighter) 2WD Vanagon. It does fine but if you like a lot of acceleration you'd probably think it's a little wimpy. I'm looking for a 2000-2004 SOHC 2.5 for my second conversion. Nice torquey engine--ideal for a syncro, I would think. I will go to slightly larger tires, too. The six-cylinder is spendy but many guys are doing them.

I installed a rebuilt Ej22 with Delta Camshafts and it is pretty far from Wimpy in mine. Takes off HARD and never misses a beat while still getting over 22 MPG on its worst day. This is a 84 2wd full Westy.

Prep?

Install new fuel filter, all new heater and front radiator hoses and a new radiator. While installing the rad hoses in the front switch the inlet and oulet hoses for later.

• 2 months later...

I have the EJ22 in my 2wd westy. Totally pleased with it. If you want 'extra' power, go with the 6. However I run mine up mountain passes in 3rd at 5000 RPM, 60 MPH, no prob.

Worst mileage was WOT all the way down I-5 to L.A. 14 MPG, 85 MPH, 15 MPH headwind. :lol: