Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 2.2 auto->manual,will it work

OK,my poor Outback has been sitting without a motor for the better part of a year. Just haven't been able to find one in my busy schedule,until recently. The problem is,my Outback is of course,a manual,and the motor I've found is from an automatic. It's all the same year,but before I buy it I want to make sure that it can be converted,with parts I have already of course,to a manual from an automatic,preferably easily.

Quick answers are appreciated as I have a large trip scheduled to somewhere there is a fair amount of snow,and I'm reasonably sure my modified Honda Accord is going to do VERY poorly in snow.

It will work. The automatic engine will have EGR. Your manual won't. It shouldn't make a difference. You could just drop it in as is with the automatic intake manifold and the egr just won't work or plug the EGR hole in the head and use your old intake manifold.

in 1995 the auto's have an EGR set up and the manuals do not. i am fairly certain...and it looks like subaru360 knows what i am unsure of, that the 1996's are the same.

the EGR issue is workable. just block off the EGR ports (one in the intake and one on the exhaust port of the head). that's not very hard to do at all.

other than that it'll be a drop in swap.