Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 RX Rear Drive Shaft

Hi All,

I have a 1985 RX which has the 2pc rear drive shaft that I need to replace the U-Joints and the Carrier Bearing, but of course I can't find a listing for those parts at my local parts store (they only lists a 1pc shaft).

Does anyone know if the U-Joints for the 1pc shaft will work in the 2pc shaft, and does anyone know where I can get the Carrier Bearing (as they don't even show a listing for that).

Is there a good online source for parts that will have oddball stuff for my RX??

As always, thanks for your wisdom and guidance in all things Subie!!

subaru driveshafts are typically considered replacement items.

type in Rockford, staked in ujoints...etc and you'll find a ujoint specifically made to replace these staked in and "non-replaceable" Subaru ujoints. i've posted the part numbers required before on here and the XT forums as well as the instructions that come with the ujoints, so with some searching you'll find that information. you can try to swing that yourself or have a driveline shop do it, it requires some metal cutting, grinding, etc.

not sure on the carrier bearing, i would hit a driveline shop up for info on those.

i have new stuff in mine, but realistically speaking used might be easier, they're all over the place. at least they always give fair warning so if you have to get another one in 2 years...no biggie, they're easy to replace, they're not really a "leave you stranded" item.

When I had my 86 turbo 3-door, I had all the u-joints replaced at a 4X4 driveline shop. He cut out the old joints with a torch, cleaned it up with a die grinder, then clamped it into a lathe to center the joints before tach welding them in. I can't remember the number he used, but the u-joints were stocked NAPA items.

Welcome to the club.

do you realize that although our 85RXs look identical to a wide range of models. they only made 1400 of these. EA82T is common .THIS IS NOT.....CLOSE RATIO 5 SPEED/ DUAL RANGE/ LSD rearend /4WDISC. And no bells,or whistles.

do you have any pic?.. I hope you take care of it and keep it.

pics? pics?

Ok here is you low dollar high quaLITY SOLUTION...............

http://www.rockforddriveline.com/Staked_Instructions.htm

http://www.rockforddriveline.com/replacem.htm

http://www.rockforddriveline.com/New%20Parts%20Page/Staked%20In%20Page.pdf

some will tell you it cant be done blabla blaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.

This is a simple job.

TAKE YOUR TIME!!!

Remove the entire shaft and get it to a work bench.

PRINT OUT the directions/instructions above.

use gentile force/finece. lots of WD40. ALL PARTS.

dont beat the hell out of it.

if you cant get them out, tale to a shop with a torch/plasma cutter.:Flame:

then clean up/reassemble

good luck.

p.s. i have the same car.:banana:

subaru_day_006.JPG

roxy1.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

yeah, these are meant to be replaced, not repaired. i had two go bad on me, one the front u-joint crapped out and the other , hte carrier let loose and scared the hell out of me. actually, gary is the one that helped me out with that. i still owe you for that gary.

a was actually going to go for a one peice shaft for my cars, but unfortunatly, its hard to spend $300 when you dont have a job :(

if anyone does find a place that can get the center carrier for the two peice shafts, please let me know, even the place that was going to build my drive shaft couldnt get em.

i've cut the old ujoints out with a basic sawzall before. tight fit, but it worked.

actually, gary is the one that helped me out with that. i still owe you for that gary.
you're welcome. after the year you've had you don't owe me. i've lived in DISNEY LAND compared to you recently, don't even try to pay me back.

i've cut the old ujoints out with a basic sawzall before. tight fit, but it worked.

you're welcome. after the year you've had you don't owe me. i've lived in DISNEY LAND compared to you recently, don't even try to pay me back.

gary, you sir are good people. ill at least take you to dinner or something when i can.

• 2 weeks later...