Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help 99 SOHC ej25 to 00 SOHC ej22

bmmf

Hi my name is Phil and I am new to the forum. I just finished swapping out my 99 SOHC ej25 to 00 SOHC ej22. These are both phase 2 motors. The 2.5 was blown and decided to put in the 2.2 because I hear they are more reliable. Now the problem. Everything is back together and when I tried to start the car, it keeps cranking and cranking but doesn't start. I am still using the 2.5 ecu and 2.5 manifold. I was wondering if this had anything to do with it. Please help this is my first swap.

first - the EJ25 ECU should not matter at all. earlier EJ swaps are cake and don't require swapping the ECU.

have you tried to read the codes from the ECU, is the check engine light on....i guess you can't see it since the car never starts.

before chasing anything random your best bet is to verify that you have spark, fuel, and compression. if you have those then we'll start looking at the ECU and/or timing.

make sure there are no vaccuum leaks, the EJ22's and EJ25's i've tried to start with a vaccuum leak would not start - brake booster hose for instance.

you bolted the EJ25 intake manifold onto the EJ22? EJ25's manifolds do not bolt up to 1998 and earlier EJ22's, but you got this to work? if that's the case it certainly makes things simpler.

Hi Phil, welcome aboard the good ship USMB.

I second everything Gary said.

He's been around enough of these swaps to know where

and what to look for. Follow his advise.

We are going to assume the 00 EJ22 was known to run before

this swap.

The intake manifold swap was a good idea, and if it fits

properly should be the way to go.

Have you tried starting fluid ?

You could take the line off from the fuel filter

Put it in a jar amd make sure you get gas flow for about 2 seconds when the key it turned on.

Good luck, please keep us updated.

Many of us are running similar swaps, mostly a couple years older than your years.

you bolted the EJ25 intake manifold onto the EJ22? EJ25's manifolds do not bolt up to 1998 and earlier EJ22's, but you got this to work? if that's the case it certainly makes things simpler.

Yeah It bolted right up to the 2.2 heads. I had to go to the junkyard to get a different Y pipe and the Bottom Thermostat housing was different but other then that everything was identical. The ej22 I used was from a 2000 Impreza. I will try those things today and see what happens (hopefully it starts :headbang:).

Thanks for the advice guys.

Yeah It bolted right up to the 2.2 heads.
man that's awesome to know, thanks. and..since you did reuse the EJ25 intake you really shouldn't have any problems. i'll be interested to know if it's throwing any codes, has spark, fuel, etc.

questions for later.after you check the other things:

you tried to crank it a few times right and the battery charge is good? not really the case for newer engines, but i've seen some older ones take some time to fire up...possibly related to the HLA's bleeding down.

are you sure you got all the intake wiring harness plugs plugged in properly? there are a few wires that attach to the engine - knock sensor (rear drivers side), crank sensor, cam sensor, water temperature sensor (under intake facing rear word on the passengers side), and a solenoid under there as well i think. make sure all of those are plugged in.

After I swapped those out it fired right up. Went on a test drive and I couldn't get it to upshift gears. I was going on the freeway at 60 mph waiting for the car to shift so I accelerated to 70 mph but nothing. Car was just hoover at a smooth 4000 rpms but no shift. Then on the way home I stopped and put the car in first. Gave it some gas till I was rolling and shifted to 2. nothing.. then to 3... nothing... Drive... nothing, no shift or jolt from the tranny to tell if it shifted. The car was a manual that I pulled the new engine from and my car is an automatic. I may have not hooked up something right.

Any ideas?

and you feel a binding going around turns too right, notable at slow speeds?

your transmission harness does not sound like it is plugged in. check those plugs, they are located very close to the intake manifold harness plugs -the large plugs you have to pull to get the motor out. make sure those transmission plugs are all plugged in. if they are, pull them out and make sure none of the pins are bent.

your TCU is not controlling your transmission at all and running in purely mechanical mode - which is 3rd by default. i am currently driving a car like this because something is wrong with the transmission system. be careful driving it much like this because i think you'll find you also have torque bind as the default mode of the rear transfer clutches is "locked", hence the binding around turns.

glad you got it figured out. how freaking bizarre, great pictures! when they made all those changes, what a stupid idea not to incorporate the same parts!?!?

• 1 year later...