Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'74 vacuum advance question

Um i dont own a 74 but i kno for sure that you want it run off the carb. If you were to hook it to manifold vacuum then the advance would be advancing at idle. When hooked to the carb when u step your foot on the gas it pulls the advance open with the amount of throttle you apply.

Yea with it hooked to your manifold vacuum your timing was way advanced even at idle so i would imagine your car would idle like crap up until the point in the rpm range where it would be pulled open normally. Now that you have it hooked to the carb i would go back and check your base timing to make sure its set right. EA81s are supposed to be set at 8 degrees. Not sure what a 74 suby would be.

Ok, so i have a quick question from any of you '74 1400 owners.

Should the vacuum advance hose be running from the manifold or the carb? That's all i need to know.

Thanks,

-Dusty-

Just checked my 74 coupe and the vacuum advance hose connects to the carb.

cool. thanks.

so new question.

I converted it to a manual choke because i was having issues with the automatic one.

Some times, when warm, i can open it all the way and it will idle and run with no problems. Other times i can't open it more than half way or it will die. Any ideas?

-Dusty-

OK,pretty soon I'll be right there with you.

.....just got into town on Saturday night ;)

Img1552.JPG

Skip,I'm sorry about the photo size.

She should clean up real nice. Will run but isn't drawing up from the tank so I need to drop it,drain it,treat it,and go from there. Ran pretty good,no smoke,no real bad noises,with some gas down the carb.

I'll try to get a hold of whatever '74 stuff my buddy Charlie has,if any is left. Weird year,spare tire down under. Please check my new list on needs and I'll be working on stuff for you too.

Cheers,

Paul