Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Picture posters please take a minute.....

Hi Skip yes that software looks pretty nice! I've been using ms office picture manager it seems ok for basic tasks. Another nice free one though it is a little clunky to use is irfanview.

Does photobucket and such places have a time limit on how long they serve pictures? The nice thing pics as attachments to posts or links to the gallery here is that they are always available with the post.

Thanks Porc

Say, you being "daman" when it comes to

attaching proper sized picts. Don't be shy you know you are!

You want to give a quick run down on using the USMB gallery?

Like I said I use my own server and have not used it much.

hehe, well I don't use the gallery either; I use a host that I have a bunch of other stuff on, as it is more convenient.

I think the basics of picture posting are

1. crop - if your pic has lots of grass and sky or other irrelvant stuff, crop it out

2. try 'auto correct' - if the pic is too light or dark auto correct (if the pic editing software supports it) may help. If it looks worse just undo it.

3. resize - typically no more than 700px wide is best for forums. Some people (ie me) are running still running a relatively low 800x600 resolution. Yes there might be a few still at 640x480 but you can't make all the people happy all the time.

4. use the right format - jpg is good for pictures. gif works nicely for diagrams or computer screenshots.

heh. My screen resolution is 1680x1050.

Anyway, yeah I love the windows image resizer. I also love imageshack because it will generate a thumbnail and split out the vbcode if you want to paste larger than 800x600 or a lot of images.

Also, on the subject of hotlinking i.e. image leeching. DON'T DO IT. Move pictures to your own hosting or an online service. Otherwise you're costing other people money. I usually have a .htaccess setup so my stuff can only be linked to on a few different sites. Otherwise a nasty replacement could show up.

hehe, well I don't use the gallery either; I use a host that I have a bunch of other stuff on, as it is more convenient.

I think the basics of picture posting are

1. crop - if your pic has lots of grass and sky or other irrelvant stuff, crop it out

2. try 'auto correct' - if the pic is too light or dark auto correct (if the pic editing software supports it) may help. If it looks worse just undo it.

3. resize - typically no more than 700px wide is best for forums. Some people (ie me) are running still running a relatively low 800x600 resolution. Yes there might be a few still at 640x480 but you can't make all the people happy all the time.

4. use the right format - jpg is good for pictures. gif works nicely for diagrams or computer screenshots.

+10 on the cropping!!!

Does photobucket and such places have a time limit on how long they serve pictures?

I have used photobucket for several years with no problems - have stuff on there that has been there from when I opened the account - still works fine. I have avatars that I use on other sites loaded there, as well as pics for Ebay use (it is VERY popular for Ebay use)

Also allows videos - but havent tried that yet...

Thanks for the come back folks.

I also thank you for the comments.

Lots of good points brought to light!!

Coming from the folks that know what they are talking about...

Well...

It makes me feel like it was worth the time,

sure hope some others see this.

And as always

"Thanks for your support"

Bartels and James circa 1986???

Picasa!!!

I love it - not only does it let you resize, crop and adjust the color in your photos.

You can also adjust the quality of the JPEG so you can get massive pics that dont take long to load. Also its pretty dam handy for keeping all those pics catalog'd.

My .02

• 1 year later...

I was looking for a sticky or other procedure on how to put photo's in a post.

This was a rare thread about it that I could find.

There's gotta be a sticky somewhere isn't there? Somthing that I can bookmark since the memory isn't always so hot?

I don't want to host them myself, use photobucket, etc. They are cropped and small.

Thanks.

Photobucket has settings for how big the pics can be. I use the setting for a 15" screen as that seems to be the biggest that just about everyone can enjoy without having to scroll left and right and they still seem pretty decent. If I want the pic to be bigger, I put a link instead of the thread.

I hear ya though, I really wish there was a program that would just read my mind and do what I want!!