Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head leak...and wasn't head gasket..(FOUND)

OH SNAP.... :dead: , EA-81 Hatch, 1.8

Changed the head gasket and coolant still dumping out of Exhaust manifold. grrr...

I looked everything over reall good... figured it was just a leaky head gasket after I adjusted the valve clearance and found Head nut#1 loose so I put it too proper torque and figured it just started leaking a week later.

The bad thing is the Hatch has never ran better... :-\

FOUND THE LEAK!!!!

It was between the cast-iron head/flange adapter and my head. It wasn't untill I removed the adapter for the replacement head that I found it...

Head_leak-1.JPG

i don't know how inclined subaru's are to craking heads, but i replaced a head gasket on a toyota corrola 1.8 awhile back and had the same scenario. the engine was losing coolant into the oil, so i pulled the head, never machined it or the block, slapped it back together with the trusty fel-pro and sent the man on his way. the guy called me three days later ticked off cuz his car was peeing out it's tailpipe. i told him i'd redo it if he would let me take the head in this time. turns out there was a crack in the head and no amount of gasket woulda fixed that. can you say "refund denied?:grin: "

Thats what I am thinking.. cracked head.... no idea what else it could be.. nor why...

The piston heads are black,so no steam in the cylenders so not coming in with fuel... so I guess I pull it and get it tested.... which makes my first Subaru headgasket change out just a practice run:clap:

If the piston tops are black from carbon, there is no coolant in the cilinders, so you are right assuming the HG is oke (unless there is increased pressure in the cooling system, but you didn't say so)

I know the EA82s are more prone to head cracking and in the exhaust port in particular, this can be repaired by a proper machine shop, but it might be easier/cheaper to find a replacement.

Look into the exhaust port and look closely at the splitter between the 2 cilinders.

yeah, i'm with joostvdw. look at the exhaust portions of the head. that toyota had a crack in the exhaust valve seat that obviously ran into a coolant passage and as it turns out, had caused significant warpage along the mating surface...guess i coulda checked the thing more closely and have prevented that one! i keep a straightedge hanging on my wall now.:-p

• 2 weeks later...

Actually that looks like galvanic corrosion - which can happen if not enough/old coolant is run for WAY too long. Coolant contains zinc which functions as the sacrficial anode. If too much water is used in the coolant, or the coolant isn't changed about ever 2 to 4 years (even if it tests good in a hygrometer), then insufficient zinc will allow corrosion of that type to take place. The result is that the aluminium itself becomes the anode and aluminium ions are stripped from the heads or block from the inside of the coolant passages. Eventually this can eat all the way through. Of course this is most often seen in aluminium heads attached to cast iron blocks, but there is sufficient iron in the bolts, and things like the stock heater core hose couplers to cause this in an EA81 over time.

Of course the picture is small, and there could be some other cause - you'll have to disect the head to know for sure. But that's my gut feeling on your leak. Crack's just don't look like that - they look like cracks - not huge gaping holes with smooth surfaces like that appears to exhibit.

If that's the case, then the whole engine is suspect. Toss it.

GD

That's what l'm thinking GD.

Actually that looks like galvanic corrosion - which can happen if not enough/old coolant is run for WAY too long. Coolant contains zinc which functions as the sacrficial anode. If too much water is used in the coolant, or the coolant isn't changed about ever 2 to 4 years (even if it tests good in a hygrometer), then insufficient zinc will allow corrosion of that type to take place. The result is that the aluminium itself becomes the anode and aluminium ions are stripped from the heads or block from the inside of the coolant passages. Eventually this can eat all the way through. Of course this is most often seen in aluminium heads attached to cast iron blocks, but there is sufficient iron in the bolts, and things like the stock heater core hose couplers to cause this in an EA81 over time.

Of course the picture is small, and there could be some other cause - you'll have to disect the head to know for sure. But that's my gut feeling on your leak. Crack's just don't look like that - they look like cracks - not huge gaping holes with smooth surfaces like that appears to exhibit.

If that's the case, then the whole engine is suspect. Toss it.

GD

Yes, agree not a crack and probably along the lines of corrosion. The engine walls itself may have thined and possibly could be other issues... but ... the original heater core is still in the Hatch and all other connections look.. somewhat uneffected.

Not enough reason's here too scrap a strong running EA-81.

Thanks for the input and help.

A quick :clap: , to Jerry, "Bratsrus1" in Yakima for tossing a head my way so I can get my roo back on the road. I now have only 7months till WCSS#10.