Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering wheel wobble only when accelerate

Got a strange one, a wobble in my steering wheel but only when I accelerate. There is also a slight knock noise at the same time. If I let off the gas it stops. I have been driving in deep snow when it started, and thought I had some crud built up, but after a thaw, its still doing it though less. I was thinking a cv joint, but am not getting any clicking noises when turning. Could a wheel bearing cause these symptoms? I have tried shaking the wheels looking for a bad bearing, but no obvious problems. Anyone got any suggestions? :-\ Thanks in advance for your help in diagnosing this.

I would love to see that outboard run--just not up close and personal if you know what I mean. For some reason, I suspect more than just the propeller will be spinning around.
if it's a Subaru or MWE axle (which it looks like an MWE) it'll be fine....if it's aftermarket you better where full protection, fire gear, pilot helmets, bullet proof everything...and stand back.

Thanks for the suggestions, as soon as I get some time this weekend (and clear some snow out of the yard for an area to work in) I will crawl under there and check out the boots. This 97 OBS has almost 200K on its original axles, so I may spring for remans on both sides. I am assuming (dangerous I know) that since I feel it in the steering wheel it will be a front one thats bad, and not a rear axle. Hope I dont sound like an idiot, but would a replacement axle include both inboard and outboard cvs? Thanks again

Yes, if you buy an axle/half shaft, it comes all assembled with both inner and outboard cv's, boots, clamps, etc. NOTE: The axle may not include a new axle nut and new spring/roll pin, which you should definitely use new ones.

Out with the old axle...

axle-old-00obw-700.jpg

And in with the new MWE axle...

axle-new-mwe-00obw-700.jpg

....axle nut..........................spring pin....

axlenut1-sm.jpgrollpin1-sm.jpg

axle nut note: there is also an axle nut same part # as above but ending in '1' instead of '0'; one is called 'olive' one is called 'gold', specifically one is for the front and the other the rear I forget which is which; not sure what if any actual difference there is.