Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the links, Nipper.

I still agree completely with your earlier post, and so I guess my point is that diesel fuel is the absolutely WRONG way to go to achieve that. Diesels are attractive, IMO, because of higher mpg than a traditional gasoline engine. However, you get more than double the gallons of gasoline out of a barrel of oil than diesel, and the energy difference is not anywhere near that spread. Add in ever-improving technology for gasoline combustion to get nearly or above diesel mpg, and gasoline is a huge winner over diesel in every way. Even cam and turbo the thing for diesel-engine output characteristics if you want.

BIODIESEL!!!!!! 100% renewable, No crude(read:war) required

Not even close. Real life biodiesel production uses very large amounts of crude oil (diesel, etc.), and when you try to be 100% biodiesel on a farm, you end up using gigantic acreages of land to produce nearly no fuel even when you use rapeseed or canola (far better than soybeans). And don't even start on WVO. That only works when you're the only one in the neighborhood (or town) doing it.

<End rant: I promise to not further the matter in this thread>

What about the fact that legumes are nitrification agents? As it stands now, biodiesel and ethanol are the only alternative fuels available for use. The problem with ethanol is it's massive reliance on diesel and petroleum, from running all the farm equipment to the insatiable thirst of corn for nitrogen in the soil. Once farmers are encouraged to rotate their soybean crops with corn crops, they'll begin cutting their petroleum use. Once biodiesel becomes more widely recognized, there will be enough stock to allow farms to run on the fuel they produce.

I see no reason to argue with biodiesel. It accomplishes all of the goals we are striving for in our daily fuel consumption... renewable resource, improved emissions, improved gas mileage, extended engine life.

Biodiesel is not the end-all of petroleum reliance. But it's the most effective step our society can take without having to completely redesign the infrastructure.

Instead of pointing out such supposed shortcomings, you should really start looking at all of the benefits gained by the production and consumption of biodiesel. It is a logically painless step towards energy independence.

All changes are met with considerable resistance. The biggest choice is deciding which information to swallow. (see climate change)

-a second rant ended.

I promised to not further in this thread. I only note my attendance of a University with huge biodiesel interests and my studies in that area. Then, my work at a State with a very large interest in biodiesel and a significant fleet test on biodiesel. Further, my own farm and production look at rapeseed for biodiesel. I'm as well or better versed in biodiesel production than most people, and I stand by my post.

I think more time needs to be spent debating, explaining, and exploring all avenues of bio-fuels, especially biodiesel.

It may be difficult, but we have no options. Peak oil is here, and we can't count on the lawyers running the white house to make the hard, rational decisions needed to keep the country running without a consistent source of cheap fuel (an oxymoron as of late).

Subaru is making a smart decision with this new engine. Hopefully public opinion hasn't shifted to hydrogen by the time they make it to the US. If a hybrid or diesel doesn't materialize within the next few years, SOA could be SOL.

:Flame: me

p.s. We should take a hint from Canada and start producing industrial hemp in this country. More effective for biodiesel than canola and soy, and can be used for textiles, food, paper, and on and on and on.

The feds are just too lazy to distinguish weed from hemp, and that is an idiotic move to say the least.

Thanks for the link as always Lucky

This line should get the off road crowd "up".

Put simply, with 258 lbs.-ft. of torque peaking at just 1,800 rpm, it has stronger pulling power on tap even than Subaru’s 3.0-liter flat six in the Legacy 3.0R and Outback."

Thanks for the link as always Lucky

This line should get the off road crowd "up".

Put simply, with 258 lbs.-ft. of torque peaking at just 1,800 rpm, it has stronger pulling power on tap even than Subaru’s 3.0-liter flat six in the Legacy 3.0R and Outback."

yeah the torque seems outrageous. Mate it up to a 6speed or even a CVT!

probably make a good airplane motor!

Stretch that baby to a H6 and slap it in the Tribeca and Mrs. 1LT might have to trade in her 03 OBW!

Carl

And yes the Legacy boxer diesel (turbo) is for sale in Holland, Germany and probably in other European countries.

Consumption is 5.6 l/100 km which is more efficient than its main competitors (VW passat and EU Ford Mondeo) and its very quiet. At 120km/h its 70 db while even a RR phantom is 72 db :lol:.

Price is like competition.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2008/01/subaru-boxer-di.html

And some sound (at idle)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just WOW

I drove the diesel legacy station yesterday evening at the dealer. Had to go there to pick up dads 05OBW from the service and really couldnt resist to ask for a drive.

It drives very nice and quiet not being used to that from a diesel. I had my driving lessons in a BMW 325td which is a very fast car but its still a BMW.

Ok about the diesel. The interior is the same funny thing is that the consumption meter is not going very far and as well the 'on a full tank' distance is great. The gearbox was bit funny, 2nd is bit 'missplaced' in the row of gears. But it will work great in traffic jams. Read from one autojournal that while slow drive a shift to 1st is unavoidable. Complete nonsense i would say. There is just so much torque available. And for a diesel its a very fast one. But the price. In holland is really bad, bit high.

remembering that the "gallon" the Brits base their measurement on is a FIVE quart (as in "imperial") gallon, so the economy values might be off by 20% "high"

Yeah, it's actually 4.8 US quarts = 1 Imperial gallon. They figure the Subie diesel at 41-42 mpg US.

A diesel is certainly exciting. Personally, I would not buy one until the 3rd or 4th year of production at the earliest. While Subaru shows promise in a lot of areas, this IS a company after all who has had ongoing head gasket issues with their gas engines. Consumer Reports lists most Subaru models as "much worse than average" in the MAJOR ENGINE PROBLEM category for models older than '03. More like a ticking time bomb than confidence inspiring.

I had the head gasket problem on a '99 Forester and Subaru left me holding the entire bill for the repair even though the car was barely over the 70,000 mile powertrain warranty period KNOWING they have HG issues.