Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Datsun Off road buggy

The Beast I Drive

well, I need to make a test bed to try out my suspension ideas for my Brat project, so Im gonna make a tight little buggy with the drivetrain from my 72 Datsun wagon, since I have no title for it. Full tube frame, Toyota rear axle, Im gonna leave it 2 wheel drive, cuz I wanna keep it fairly simple. Custom A arm front independent suspension, custom Triangulated 4 link rear, 16.5 inch rims with 35 inch tires, stock 4 speed manual and 4 banger datsun motor. I wanna put 1 seat in the back, and its gonna be a little smaller in size than a Brat. Coil springs all around. And it's all gonna be built from crap I have layin around, with the exception of the Heim joints and the springs. Heres a rough sketch I did in Math class today :grin: :

IMG00014.jpg

yeah, Im going to make it a front mid engine design, so almost all of the weight will be behind the centerline of the front wheels, hopefully making it handle better and be more stable. Im also going to make the drivetrain removable in minutes, so I can swap in whatever I want, which leaves it open for future upgrades :grin: . I wouldve gone with a Subaru drivetrain, but I wanted to test my suspension design for straight axle.

• 6 months later...