Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Outback alarm problem

Guest dansob

I just picked up my used 2000 OB from the dealer today. I bought it with 57k miles in mint condition and love it! But I have a small problem I need to fix ASAP. The alarm beeps the horn whenever I arm or disarm the car. I live in a quiet neighborhood and I often leave early and come home very late. I can't have the alarm beeping audibly. I've had aftermarket alarms before and that feature was always something that could be turned on or off. How do I do this with the Subaru alarm system? Can it be done with the remote or do I have to physically access the alarm? I'd like the lights to blink but that's all the notification I need. Any help would ge great.

Guest Cougar4

I would hope you received a owners manual with the car. The procedure is in there. If I remember right, you open the drivers door and turn the key to the on position about five times and then set the alarm but I can't remember for sure. If you didn't get a manual with the car I would try to get one from the dealer or order one.

Glen

Guest dansob

I received a manual, but I looked in the wrong place. I searched the index for 'alarm' and 'security' while the instructions were under 'keyless entry system'. Sorry about that and thanks for your help.

• 1 year later...
I received a manual, but I looked in the wrong place. I searched the index for 'alarm' and 'security' while the instructions were under 'keyless entry system'. Sorry about that and thanks for your help.

I have the opposite issue with my 99 Legacy GT. I want the factory alarm system to toot the horn when it's armed/disarmed, but right now, it doesn't do that. The lights flash but no "toot". There really is nothing in the owner's manual about turning that feature on and off. I realize that there is a body change between 1999 and 2000, but would you be willing to write out the instructions from your owner's manual so I can try it??

mine doesn't do anything but lock the doors, lol no lights, no horn nothing.. i wish it would flash, honk something, guess i need to dig through my owners manual.. mines a 99'

does your car have a blinking LED indicator light in a panel that says "security" right next to the fog lamp switch?? Or is there simply a "blank" plastic panel next to the fog light switch??

i got the blinking indicator light... next to the fog light switch..

if ya hold the lock/panic button it goes off, at least the horn does anyways..

I just found a link that might help both of us. Whoever wrote this gives very good instructions on how to use and program the security system, with pictures of the type of remote that each system uses. At the top of the page, the title is "How to use your Subaru Keyless Entry, Security, and Immobilizer Key systems" so, try this link.....

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html

i got the blinking indicator light... next to the fog light switch..

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html

Well, now I have horns tootin' when I lock & unlock doors... I gotta disable that thing... I do have a sticker on the windshield that states I have theft deterance built in... but NO blinking light on the dash...

Do I have an alarm system?

99 OBW 30th Anniversary edition with all sorts of options.

Later,

Peter

Well, now I have horns tootin' when I lock & unlock doors... I gotta disable that thing... I do have a sticker on the windshield that states I have theft deterance built in... but NO blinking light on the dash...

Do I have an alarm system?

99 OBW 30th Anniversary edition with all sorts of options.

Later,

Peter

Leave the driver's door window open, then lock the doors using the remote. Reach through the open window as if you were breaking into the car and open the driver's door with the inside door handle. Does an alarm sound (vehicle horn)? If yes, hit "unlock" on the remote to stop it.

Did you access the link posted above?? Do your remotes look like the ones pictured for 1999-2004 Legacy and Outback models?

Leave the driver's door window open, then lock the doors using the remote. Reach through the open window as if you were breaking into the car and open the driver's door with the inside door handle. Does an alarm sound (vehicle horn)? If yes, hit "unlock" on the remote to stop it.

Did you access the link posted above?? Do your remotes look like the ones pictured for 1999-2004 Legacy and Outback models?

Yes, used the link.

Yes, have the '99 grey/grey remote.

but no noise upon "breaking into" my car... could this have been dismantled? the lady from whom I bought the vehicle seemed like she may have set this thing off on a regular basis... by accident.

Thanks.

Later,

Peter

Yes, used the link.

Yes, have the '99 grey/grey remote.

but no noise upon "breaking into" my car... could this have been dismantled? the lady from whom I bought the vehicle seemed like she may have set this thing off on a regular basis... by accident.

Thanks.

Later,

Peter

Is there a panel that says "security" (with red LED indicator lamp in it) just to the left of the fog lamp switch on the dash??

Is there a panel that says "security" (with red LED indicator lamp in it) just to the left of the fog lamp switch on the dash??

Nope.

so there fore no security system?

what's with the label on the driver's window... theft deterence...

It's some sort of tracking device (or just the label)... not to stop you from stealing my double din Subaru stereo system but from stealing my vehicle....

lo jack located on board?

Later,

Peter

Nope.

so there fore no security system?

what's with the label on the driver's window... theft deterence...

It's some sort of tracking device (or just the label)... not to stop you from stealing my double din Subaru stereo system but from stealing my vehicle....

lo jack located on board?

Later,

Peter

You're right, no Subaru security system. Maybe the label is just to fake 'em out?? Only you can tell if the car has a Lojack system........

• 5 years later...

i have read and tried everything that is posted here and i still have a problem.

i may need a new remote, i will work on that next. i have a 2000 outback.i did not realize that by me checking and pulling the interior fuses that it would cause my security system to go bizerk.. i did not have my remote working and now it works infrequently. when i lock the doors and then open them with a key the security system goes off. i have to jump in my car, turn the key three times before 5 sec and the alarm turns off. BUT as soon as you lock the door and try again it starts all over.................i went to the page that described how to disable the security. it did not work, probably because my remote is handicapped in someway. what i did not understand from my manual is trying to put it in valet mode. "to enter the valet mode, open the drivers door and keep the "UNLOCK/DISARM" button depressed for more than 2 seconds. the indicator light repeatedly flashes 2 times while the system is in valet mode" . in the exiting of valet mode it is the same procedure except they want you to "keep the button "pressed" for more than 2 sec...... what is the difference between depressed and pressed? i tried it but it did not work.......

also i read and saw pictures from an earlier post describing where and what to do with a security alarm button near the interior fuses or surrounding area that can be disabled by following a certain procedure. But i could not find it.......................my life was peaceful before i checked the fuses.(all because a quieter problem, my drivers side f+b blinkers are going a mile a minute and i thought it may be a fuse...nope...i still have that problem as well) hope someone can help me......thanks :eek:

oldbluesfan,

I would try to reset the entire system this way:

Disconnect the battery's positive cable and wait for a few minutes.

Then turn the key in the ignition all the way "on" as if the car is running.

Reconnect the battery while the key is still in the "on" position.

Then start your car by turning the key forward to fire up the starter.

This should reset your alarm to factory specs. This is also the way to keep your alarm from going off after a battery disconnect if you don't have the remote available to quiet it.

In order to turn the horn alert on or off just hold BOTH the lock and unlock buttons at the same time until the horn sounds.

Valet is set as you described, just hold the unlock button down with the driver door open for at least 2 seconds until the security light flashes quickly.

****These instructions are for the MY2000+ alarms, this is what I do for my 2001 model. Our MY97 and 98 are different for valet but the same for the battery disconnect resetting procedure.***

Edited by Suzam
add'l info added

99 Legacy, Legacy gt and OBW have the same sytem (alpine) as the 2000-08(?) I have a 99 OBW and I use the 06 remote.

These cars have a security computer by the steering column, a l.e.d . on the dash next to the fog light swith and a motion sensor that is mounted behind the lower din of the stereo. They are all labeled by subaru on each unit.

If your 99 doesnt have a security system you can put in the main computer (by the column) and program.

If this unit isn't installed the lock/unlock button won't function properly.

Thats about all i know about the 99 security system

• 2 weeks later...

thank-you suzam for your information...........i did not get to try it but i wrote it down for the future. i went to subaru and they tried to reset my remotes. cost $44 (i had to buy a battery from them because i forgot to bring one with me ..duh...lol..) wellllllllllllllllllll when i got home one worked once and the other did not work at all ................soooooooooo back to jumping in the car to turn it off... 2 days later back at subaru, another guy attempting it.....he said one remote is dead and he fixed the other.. yehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ,finally peace and relaxation when around my car. it was nice of them not to charge me the second time. however if this one goes a new one is $70.00. the second guy also programmed it so the lights flash but no horn honks as i unlock or lock it.

suzam i understood what you wrote about the valet programming but you did not clarify what the difference is about press and depress unless there is no difference. also if you read this, could you let me know what to change on my driver side blinker system since both the front and the rear are flashing incredibly fast. i did not find a fuse for it so i am guessing to look at both bulbs.......................thanks..........

Press and depress are the same as far as I'm concerned.

The front signal has 2 bulbs, 1 double and 1 single filament if I recall without looking. The double is on dim filament with lights and both flash for the turn-signal.

Turn on the 4-way emergency flashers and compare the left and right to see if there is any difference. Maybe a visual comparison will reveal a problem.

Does the rapid flash happen with the regular lights on and off or is there a difference in speed when you have them on or off?

If all else fails, buy some replacement bulbs and swap them all out.

• 6 years later...

Please help!!!!!!

I parked my 2001 outback for few months because I was away. Batterie is still good just got it tested. my remote aren't working anymore... Every time I unlock my car the alarm system goes off. Turn the key to on 3x and I can start it... However, How can disable the system???? I can never lock my door anymore...

Cheers!!!!!

Edited by Faye