Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Compressor source?

Hi all, After the great help I got with my no spark problem on the 1988 DL wagon I thought I would ask about this:

I believe the A/C compressor is making death rattles, it could just be the compressor clutch but in reading through some earlier posts on here it sounds as though replacing that would put a lot of strain on the old and decrepit compressor and the bearings would soon go on it. Does anyone have a line on the least expensive compressor available? I see there are some offered on Ebay but since they are used..who knows what I would get?

Thanks,

Brian in NM

Check the USMB Marketplace & see if anyone has one for sale. If non is up for sale, post your need under 'WANTED'

Before you cast the old compressor aside, run a few checks. Is the system cooling pretty well? Is the refrigerant at the proper pressure? Are both fans working when the compressor is on? Is the condensor plugged up with leaves & aardvark clippings? Is the evaporator pluugged up...got good airflow inside from the vents?? Notice any refrigerant/oil leaks at the hose couplings?

Just a couple of things to check before tossing in the towel.

Best of luck

Scott G

One other thing to check - one that threw me for a loop when I first encountered it, is the puser system - that weird thing that hangs like a hood over the end of the compressor clutch. The 3 prongs that stick out of the clutch are counted by the pulser as they spin by. The rate is compared to engine RPM and if something is out of kilter, the puser shuts the clutch down.

My compressor was downright noisy when I first got it working. The noise was due to the pulser kicking the clutch in & out every few nanoseconds. The prongs on the edge of the clutch should have just a few thousandths clearance at the pulser head. Make sure the pulser head is properly adjusted. I had to take mine off & elongate the screw (bolt) hols a bit to get enough 'wiggle room' to adjust it.

I have several A/C manuals. If you want to further exchange info, write me at: fordveight@verizon.net

Hope this helps

ScottG

Also check any belt idler / tensioner on the V belts. Some versions have one, some don't.

Dave,,,good thought but I have checked that and it is good. I see that the compressor pulley is kind of hard to turn with the belts off...shouldn't it turn easily?

Brian in NM

I see that the compressor pulley is kind of hard to turn with the belts off...shouldn't it turn easily?

Yes, it should spin freely. And smooth & quiet. It has a dual row ball bearing. If you can post a couple of clear pics, so I can tell which compressor, I might have parts, or a spare.

Yes, it should spin freely. And smooth & quiet. It has a dual row ball bearing. If you can post a couple of clear pics, so I can tell which compressor, I might have parts, or a spare.

Dave, thanks but it is too late for that. Today I bought a used compressor online and the other stuff I need to install and recharge with R134. Expansion valve, receiver/drier, o-ring kit from RockAuto. It will be a first for me but I can follow instructions. I can get the flush, fittings and refrigerant locally. I hate like heck to buy and install a used one but just can't justify a $300 dollar compressor for a soobie with 185K on it.

Thanks again,

Brian in NM

OK here is the update on my A/C story. Scott sent me some good info and ideas of what to do and I forged in and did it.

I took the fan shroud of and the belts and the compressor pulley was almost impossible to turn by hand. I sprayed some WD-40 behind and into the back of the pulley...voila, it broke loose and spun quite easily although with some internal rattling. This is all on a factory installed Hitachi MJS170 compressor.

I removed the pulser unit and laid it back over the hoses and took off the front nut, cleaned the area and removed the internal snap ring and the outer clutch plate with the ears slid right off and by moving the fan blades around I could get it out. One more snap ring, this time external, then the pulley slid off...same thing with wiggling and moving the fan blades.

Off to the parts washer and with a large socket and brass hammer as a driver, I removed the pulley bearing. Scott said that he used a bench vise to do the same and if a guy has a hydraulic press, that would be best. Anyway, it came out easily enough and I ordered one through my local indy parts shop. $41.00 later I stuck the bearing in the freezer, for an hour over lunchtime and then heated the pulley up. The bearing dropped almost all the way in and took a little encouragement with the socket/hammer set and the everything went back together all spiffy clean and tidy. I could not find an air gap spec for the pulser so I installed it with about 5mm between the ears and pulser.

Now the problem I had was when I took the idler/belt tightner pulley out to clean and test it I had a full days adventure and many skinned knuckles trying to get the lower adjuster bolt and nut back on until a friend stopped by and I enlisted him to put the lower (long) nut on while I held the adjuster bolt from behind....If a guy actually has feeling in his fingers and a smaller hand than I it would be a huge amount easier....or just loosen the nut and hope you don't have to pull the unit out at all. This is all to avoid removing the cooling fan....removing that would be a pain but make the rest go easier.

Long story short, It is working perfectly and I am today sending back the parts I bought from RockAuto parts and will set the new-to-me used compressor on the shelf until either I need it or can sell it to someone who does. Thanks for everyones help, esp. Scott and if a moderator wants to move this post to a more appropriate place, have at it....sorry no pics, I was too p.o.ed with my aching back and skinned knucks to take pics.

Brian in NM

Way to go, Brian!!

Glad you were able to save the old compressor. And, you have the satisfaction of having done the repair yourself (well, almost - but at least you kept it out of the shop).

A friend with a small hand is always handy to have when working in some tight Sooby spaces.

I'm anxious to hear about the cooling ability of your sustem, come July & August. Mine's pretty minimal - but I've changed it to R-134, which supposedly has less cooling ability in units designed for R-12. I'm going to completely flush my system in the Spring & try to install an additional condenser under the bumper. The secret to getting more cooling inside is often getting rid of more heat outside. I'll let you know how things go.

ScottG

Scotty,

Yeah...feels great to know I don't have to replace the compressor yet.... I drove the car on a 140 mile round trip today and....

I tried out the air conditioner and it was pretty minimal also. I do have a friend who is trained in HVAC on homes and such and I know he has some A/C gauges so I will talk to him tonite and see if he can check it out with me.

More later.....

Brian in NM