Ultimate Subaru Message Board

International Users: Help Identify This Part!

What is this part between the fan speed knob and the temperature knob? Was this a JDM only feature or did our friends in Europe and Australia/New Zealand get this stuff also? I see it in the ads for JDM EA81 RXs and SRXs, but the pictures are too small and grainy to see what they are.

Highlighted.JPG

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/projectrudy/sheet8a.jpg

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/projectrudy/srx1.jpg

One is the ejector seat, the other is the anti Godzilla defense system

Machine gun headlights and in dash martini bar (British 007 Edition)

I'm thinking most likely rear demister and wiper buttons though also... been a LONG time since I drove the Brumby in OZ though so I can't be 100% certain

Yes most of our cars have these buttons, there for air vents, 1 opens up fresh air, the other for recirclatory air.

What is this part between the fan speed knob and the temperature knob? Was this a JDM only feature or did our friends in Europe and Australia/New Zealand get this stuff also? I see it in the ads for JDM EA81 RXs and SRXs, but the pictures are too small and grainy to see what they are.

Highlighted.JPG

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/projectrudy/sheet8a.jpg

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/projectrudy/srx1.jpg

Needed!!! Is this different from the "flow-through" ventilation?

Not sure what you meen? but with our righthand drive models the blower/fan box is on the far left, then to the right is the a/c box (if fitted, if not it has a piece of convoluted pipe) and then into the centre heater box. In the fan box it has a flap at the top which is controlled by the 2 buttons you are asking about. The flap changes from inside cabin air to fresh outside air.

ok... I'll try and put the pics on my user page photos

If it is to let fresh air in through vacuum controls then what does the fresh air slide do?

I too have always wondered this.

...Would also like to have one of those chrome gauge outline things.

The slide control on the ones in Oz, just changes whether the air goes to the front screen, your face or the floor... Chrome gauge outline things??? not sure but we dont have that in Oz and from the pic on this thread it looks like the reflection off the plastic face piece.

We in Oz don't have a slide control on ours... Chrome gauge outline things??? not sure but we dont have that in Oz and from the pic on this thread it looks like the reflection off the plastic face piece.

CHrome thing is a bezel. I see them ocassionally on ebay.

I like my idea better ....

GODZILLA!

nipper

ok... seems to be done

just click on my photos and you'll see them as "Fan Box"

Do you have a close up of the control panel for your car? And of how those buttons actually control that thing?

I'm thinking that this could be a sweet upgrade for my wagon if someone out there can source most of the parts and maybe some of the FSM pages regarding the system.

I actually want a bunch of stuff that we didn't get here. EA81 height adjustable seats, headlight washers, front fender marker lamps, etc., etc.

The slide control on the ones in Oz, just changes whether the air goes to the front screen, your face or the floor... Chrome gauge outline things??? not sure but we dont have that in Oz and from the pic on this thread it looks like the reflection off the plastic face piece.

Been meaning to revisit this thread.

Sorry to but in, l think you'll find the fresh air slide is the one over the vent, it's purpose is to open 2 vents, 1 either side and covered by your wiper gear, hence the grill under the windscreen,to allow fresh air into your car

-the two buttons pictured are connected through the heater panel and decide whether you get fresh air or run recycled air through your heating system.

That's why you don't get the choice on your heater slide.

l hope this clears the matter up. Probably should have elaborated in my first post, sorry.

Been meaning to revisit this thread.

Sorry to but in, l think you'll find the fresh air slide is the one over the vent, it's purpose is to open 2 vents, 1 either side and covered by your wiper gear, hence the grill under the windscreen,to allow fresh air into your car

-the two buttons pictured are connected through the heater panel and decide whether you get fresh air or run recycled air through your heating system.

That's why you don't get the choice on your heater slide.

l hope this clears the matter up. Probably should have elaborated in my first post, sorry.

Ohh... I thought the control next to the vent was there to supply fresh air to your face while you had the heater on to stop you falling asleep... Sorry :confused:

I'll take some more pics tomorrow and I have a manual lying around somewhere. I'll try and scan the right pages and post them up.

Do you have a close up of the control panel for your car? And of how those buttons actually control that thing?

I'm thinking that this could be a sweet upgrade for my wagon if someone out there can source most of the parts and maybe some of the FSM pages regarding the system.

I actually want a bunch of stuff that we didn't get here. EA81 height adjustable seats, headlight washers, front fender marker lamps, etc., etc.

I'll try... ;)

If you guys need anything from Oz, just email me on raysubre@bigpond.net.au and I'll help you out as much as possible.:cool:

No problem and sorry for butting in, but l've dismantled and reassembled my share, (a few more than 1), of 81's for restoration and paint and am very familiar with this set up having always stripped them out to do the work.

we call this a coupe dash here as it differs from the Brumby or Brat, as you guys know it but is essentially the same system. the fresh air slide on Brumby's is located on our dash pads.

Thanks for not taking offence, it's all about helping. cheers.

Ohh... I thought the control next to the vent was there to supply fresh air to your face while you had the heater on to stop you falling asleep... Sorry :confused:

I'll take some more pics tomorrow and I have a manual lying around somewhere. I'll try and scan the right pages and post them up.

what is that gold box with the sticker and blue wires in the top right of the pic labled Fan_Box_EA81_1? i have one that came with all my spfi parts from the wrecking yard and i was just wondering. thanks

I'm not 100% sure but I can check the manual later... Off hand I think it's called the A/C Amplifier but don't quote me just yet?