Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81 rear shocks??????

spent all day going from shop to shop in search of rear shocks for 81 brat, with no luck.

the kyb listing is wrong and shocks from the sedans are not even close.

went to classicgarage and they do not have them, pics for the 78 to 80 shock do not match my 81.

does anyone know and maybe have a part number? thanks.

The 81 BRAT is the same body as the 77-80 BRAT. You need a shock that has the threaded rod at the top and the rubber grommet hole at the bottom. You must have been looking at the wrong picture. For that matter the 77-79 2WD car rear shock are the same too.

This is weird.

Todd

You need to ignore the picture at the classic garage website. It is for referrence only. It is the same picture from when I bought my shocks for my 78 Brat. They will fit and ride well too! Take it from somebody who has them.:headbang: They are the threaded kind on top like Todd is talking about.

thanks for comments regarding shocks. my experience did not match in several ways and so reporting an alternative path...

confirmed at several shops that the kyb listing is wrong and went to two different NAPA shops and it is possible to get the listing and pic, the shock in the box does not match the pic.

i did not pursue classic garage option, given my time was short.

my alternative path was to have NAPA measure the shock and identify an alternative which was monroe #5753 ST. another parts house had the shock on hand $23/ea. while the replacement shock body is about 1/2 to maybe 1 inch longer and so too the top stud, i was able to install with no noticeable change in ride height. the ride improvement is significant.

next week i plan to change the front strut inserts and will report on this too.