Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new project lifted EA82 with EJ22 and no computer

Scott, you are my new hero. :headbang: I put together a sandrail years ago with just the usuall VW parts. I bought a 90' Subaru Legacy wagon for 100 bucks with EJ22 engine and 5 speed. Hands down the best car I ever owned. I came across info on guys taking EJs and boltin em' up to VW transaxles but I always figured it would be way to much work guttin' the entire wiring harness and ecu out of the car and puttin it in a sandrail ( let alone getting it to run right) so sadly...my friends and I basically rally raced the car on some property of mine until the car was distroyed :confused: . it still ran the day we took it to the crusher. :banghead: only if i would have known about you!!!!!!!!!!!!! btw great job.

Scott, you are my new hero. :headbang: I put together a sandrail years ago with just the usuall VW parts. I bought a 90' Subaru Legacy wagon for 100 bucks with EJ22 engine and 5 speed. Hands down the best car I ever owned. I came across info on guys taking EJs and boltin em' up to VW transaxles but I always figured it would be way to much work guttin' the entire wiring harness and ecu out of the car and puttin it in a sandrail ( let alone getting it to run right) so sadly...my friends and I basically rally raced the car on some property of mine until the car was distroyed :confused: . it still ran the day we took it to the crusher. :banghead: only if i would have known about you!!!!!!!!!!!!! btw great job.

wow Hero statis

there is plenty more Roos out there ,I got adapters for your sandrail VW rims to bolt up to the subaru hubs too, wide 5

just wondering would the car already have to be carb'd or could i do the swap with a fi car? im currently doin the ej swap with fi and turbo in a 94 loyale 4wd. i also have a 86 gl fwd FI. would i b able to pull this swap off without messin with the harness?

on a FI car like the 87 white car I have here the FI fuel pump creates to much preasure and will need replaced with a Carb fuel pump or regulated somehow for 2-3 PSI , no mods to the stock Harness just run a wire from the stock coil wire to the new coil, and wire up the EJ alternator plug

The EJ manifold probably isnt the best choice for a carb though is it. I mean its not really made to flow fuel.

I wonder how tough it wuold be to just make a new manifold.

I don't think pure air flows very different from an air/fuel mixture, so I don't think a new manifold would gain anything

It makes me wonder if you could hang the existing SPFI on the EJ22 and use the Ford distributor.

Shouldn't be that big a deal.

My thoughts exactly only my car is a carbed ea81 so there would be a little more to it. SPFI would be the way to go. Also curious how you closed off the original injector holes? love this thread just picked up a strong running ej yesterday so swap will be coming soon.:banana:

My thoughts exactly only my car is a carbed ea81 so there would be a little more to it. SPFI would be the way to go. Also curious how you closed off the original injector holes? love this thread just picked up a strong running ej yesterday so swap will be coming soon.:banana:

my guess is he just left the injectors in it.

also doing an spfi swap would be rediculous on an ej22. spfi is pretty much just as hard to do as ej22 wiring. you might aswell save yourself the trouble and just run the ej22 stuff.

nice work on the carb setup! this would be really awesome in small boat applications too.

looking forward to seeing this at wcss. :)

Hi , this has been an interesting read .

One possible solution (depending on room) may be a side draught carburettor adapted to fit where the std throttle body did .

I wouldn't be the greatest fan of SU carbs but at least they are available in reasonably large sizes . Just then a case of stuffing around with the needle and dashpot springs .

Thoughts ?

Cheers A .

Hi , this has been an interesting read .

One possible solution (depending on room) may be a side draught carburettor adapted to fit where the std throttle body did .

I wouldn't be the greatest fan of SU carbs but at least they are available in reasonably large sizes . Just then a case of stuffing around with the needle and dashpot springs .

Thoughts ?

Cheers A .

Im all for a side draft if someone has one I can try or what would be a good one ?? , I also want to play with mounting the weber on the thoutle mounting hole,

Johnson']Very good work. I can see it now. "Click here to buy your ready to drop in EJ conversion. Comes with Adapter plate' date=' EJ, carburetor and installation manual."

Great craftsmanship.:headbang:

How do you install the distributor?[/quote']

Thanks , soon,

slight modification to disty then 2 bolts on rear of head

DSC00462.JPG

on a FI car like the 87 white car I have here the FI fuel pump creates to much preasure and will need replaced with a Carb fuel pump or regulated somehow for 2-3 PSI , no mods to the stock Harness just run a wire from the stock coil wire to the new coil, and wire up the EJ alternator plug

Where in the world did you hear that at Scott???? I mean, who would have known that a fuel injected fuel pump would produce FARRRRRR too much fuel pressure for a carb???? Anyone who could have seen such a problem coming, and have told you about it before hand; why, they would have to be some sort of geniuses!!!! ahem, coughcoughChriscoughJeffcough. coughandmecough. cough. coughcough.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: