Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new project lifted EA82 with EJ22 and no computer

Again, brilliant.

I know many are enamored with down draft webers, but just for argument/brainstorming, what about using a side-draft carb that feeds to the MAF inlet, and cone filter on the carb's other end occupying the spare tire area?

Mikunis, Dellortos, Webers ( I know, they're spendy) VW Kardins?

Again, brilliant.

I know many are enamored with down draft webers, but just for argument/brainstorming, what about using a side-draft carb that feeds to the MAF inlet, and cone filter on the carb's other end occupying the spare tire area?

Im up to it, send me a carb and I will make the adapter

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZified

Again, brilliant.

Im up to it, send me a carb and I will make the adapter

Hey ya'll what type side-draft carb would be best? That way you wouldn't need to cut the hood, maybe?

Scott........pm sent

Larry

Ok took the car out on its first trip put 100 miles on it , hears a pic of it sneakin threw the hood this is with the engine lowered with a 2" block so on a stock car the filter would be sittin 2" higher ,I learned a few things first the stock EA82 radiator with only 1 fan dont cut it for off road use, need to upgrade to a bigger rad and 2 fans, second I had replaced the stock FI pump with a lower presure carb pump and installed it under the hood, this doesnt work as the pump has to suck and it ends up suckin air, so we swapped it to the stock location under the car and the problem went away, thanks everyone for helping and waiting on the carb swap, 3rd this weber I put on came off a EA81 car and on the EJ22 its starving , so I either need to rejet it or replace it with a larger carb more matched to this size engine, now this is were I need some help from you carb experts, what size Carb would work best with this 2.2 liter and what should hte jetting be? all in all I really like the new setup, it has way more lowerend power then the EA82 which was nice for offroad

DSC00602.JPG

the stock EA82 radiator with only 1 fan dont cut it for off road use, need to upgrade to a bigger rad and 2 fans

hmm.....what fan are you using? my old crappy loyale was plenty with the aftermarket electric fan I'm using. heck, I haven't used the fan at all all winter. only time I have problems is when the front of the car is caked with snow....

how's the rest of the cooling system? water pump, tstat, etc.

hmm.....what fan are you using? my old crappy loyale was plenty with the aftermarket electric fan I'm using. heck, I haven't used the fan at all all winter. only time I have problems is when the front of the car is caked with snow....

how's the rest of the cooling system? water pump, tstat, etc.

found one problem the top rad hose has a pin hole leak, also the carb is smaller then a 32/36, not sure but I think its off a Fiat will swap out this week with a bigger 32/36, still looking for jetting info, I guess I will do the trial and arror method, the car runs cool on the road, it was only offroad I had cooling issues

a 32/36 jetted for an ea series car is fine.if you go any bigger on your jets your just wasting fuel.i tried three different setups and i ended up back at the starting point because of fuel consumption.

whatever redline jets them as is what you want.might mess with idle control but that is about it.

cheers,brian

Scott. Nice work man.

I just bought an ej22 from my mechanic. And my lift should be here in a week or so. Think you could pm me a christmas list or better yet post it here for everyone. Need ALL the parts to make this happen.

Also, could I send the intake manifold down to get setup for a weber 32/36? And send a disty down to be ground.

OK switched out the carb, heres the one I had on it , it says WEBER on it think it might be off a Fiat not sure, notice how tall the bottom plate is, it worked great on the EA81 but not on the EJ22

DSC006251.JPG

heres the 32/36 all hooked up ,got it off a Datsun pickup and went threw it , boy what a differencre, I love this car, cant wait to go offroading again, it really goes now ,way better then the EA82, Im not going back,

DSC006261.JPG

OK switched out the carb, heres the one I had on it , it says WEBER on it think it might be off a Fiat not sure, notice how tall the bottom plate is, it worked great on the EA81 but not on the EJ22

DSC006251.JPG

heres the 32/36 all hooked up ,got it off a Datsun pickup and went threw it , boy what a differencre, I love this car, cant wait to go offroading again, it really goes now ,way better then the EA82, Im not going back,

DSC006261.JPG

You wanna set up another wheeling trip soon scott. I want to take the new wagon up once I pick it up and drop the new motor in I got this far today.

motors_005.JPG motors_006.JPG motors_007.JPG She was really dirty wish I had a before pic. Just need one head and head Gaskets and she is ready......"Lets go Wheeling" Eah?

:lol:

Jeff

Scott. Nice work man.

I just bought an ej22 from my mechanic. And my lift should be here in a week or so. Think you could pm me a christmas list or better yet post it here for everyone. Need ALL the parts to make this happen.

Also, could I send the intake manifold down to get setup for a weber 32/36? And send a disty down to be ground.

I will work up a list of all the parts needed and post it here , on the manifold Im going to do the next one with a holesaw in a hand drill to see if the average guy with basic shop tools can do it , I will offer this service for those that dont want to tackle it

You wanna set up another wheeling trip soon scott. I want to take the new wagon up once I pick it up and drop the new motor in I got this far today.

motors_005.JPG motors_006.JPG motors_007.JPG She was really dirty wish I had a before pic. Just need one head and head Gaskets and she is ready......"Lets go Wheeling" Eah?

:lol:

Jeff

lets go after you get my/your car going,

just run it that way on 2 cylinders:lol: :banana::lol::eek: :-\