Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Window washer? 97 LOB...

was the rear washer a trim level thing?

I'm not sure what my rear hatch came off of, but it doesn't have a washer, but my wiper/washer stalk shows a setting for one...

the replacement hatch on mine is white, with outback lettering in gold on the right side....

can they be retro fit?

was the rear washer a trim level thing?

I'm not sure what my rear hatch came off of, but it doesn't have a washer, but my wiper/washer stalk shows a setting for one...

the replacement hatch on mine is white, with outback lettering in gold on the right side....

can they be retro fit?

does it have a rear wiper? if it has a wiper then it has a rear washer. check the washer fluid tank under the hood. if the the tank has 2 outlets and pumps then some where the line is plugged, or the pump is bad or the line was never re-connected when the hatch was replaced.

if the tank only has one outlet / pump, then some one swapped in a tank from a sedan. when i bought my outback the pump for the front was bad, so i swapped in a tank from my sedan with a bad trans just because i had it.

if it doesn't have a rear wiper, well then that's different......??????

My '97 LOB has the "spit" for the rear washer integrated into the pivot point for the washer arm. There's a little protrusion molded into the arm mount itself, just to the driver's side, where the fluid gets sprayed upwards.

Rear_Washer_Spit.jpg

What's behind there, I have no idea... haven't had the "opportunity" yet :).

My '97 LOB has the "spit" for the rear washer integrated into the pivot point for the washer arm. There's a little protrusion molded into the arm mount itself, just to the driver's side, where the fluid gets sprayed upwards.

Rear_Washer_Spit.jpg

What's behind there, I have no idea... haven't had the "opportunity" yet :).

cool, I will look there.... I was thinking up top like old school :)

• 2 weeks later...
It's a terrible design. Why fight gravity?

When I had my '96 I seriously considered putting in a top mount sprayer like the newer outbacks

Its not the squirter i have an issue with, its the wiper. No delay on it, and a brand new balde and arm still only wipes 75% of the sweep. Squirter covers fine.

nipper

PS its done low to avoid any siphoning affect

PS its done low to avoid any siphoning affect

Sorry Nipper, this statement corn-fuses my

lame brain.

When I mounted my rear squirter output

below the bumper (read "low")

and into the exhaust pipe.

Siphoning was a problem.

I had to add a solenoid valve to prevent it.

How does mounting it "low" avoid

siphoning?

Sorry Nipper, this statement corn-fuses my

lame brain.

When I mounted my rear squirter output

below the bumper (read "low")

and into the exhaust pipe.

Siphoning was a problem.

I had to add a solenoid valve to prevent it.

How does mounting it "low" avoid

siphoning?

bottle mounted lower than sprayers keeps fluid from siphoning out from sprayers.

24 inches water column vacuum at the top? (assuming a 2' height difference between the tank and the outlet. Remember, you're looking at a .020 inch dia hole or so and it's not a direct air path across the hole.

Those pipsqueak washer pumps don't put out a lot of pressure so it's better not have too much height to lift anyway. :grin:

• 1 month later...
front and rear washers use the same bottle. There are 2 pumps on the bottle, and I think the one that's higher up is for the rear washer...

Thats correct it lets you know your getting low on fluid, the rear doesn't squrit but the front does, time to refill!! You can check the drivers side hatch inside the rear compartment where the jack is, if there is no tank in there then you have the wrong tank. My 97 outback and 97 legacy both have a 2 pump tank.