Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How hard is it to find this car with a DR?

An old friend of mine had one of those...

I would think in Colorado they would be pretty easy to find. Although when I was looking for a DR wagon I couldn't seem to find one for the longest time and I live in Washington where they practically grow on trees. Keep looking.

Johnson']Pretty hard' date=' I have an '89 RX that's a 4speed automatic:rolleyes:. Some people don't believe me.[/quote']

I believe you... We used to get them from Japan. they are the same box as the Legacy, just with the EA front diff and housing.

You could always buy a car with the single range and change it to the dual setup.

Yup, that looks just like mine, except mine's an 88, has white wagon spoke wheels on it, a hood scoop(with associated TMIC and turbo goodies) and a red stripe instead of the grey/blue one.

The dual trans came in a lot of the wagons, but to my recollection (and correct me if I'm wrong) ALL RX with manual transmission has the dual range ALL WHEEL DRIVE, not FOUR wheel drive, this unit is special and quite hard to find as only the RX and some XT6(I think) had the AWD unit with Diff Lock.

Fit and function is the same, except the 4wd D/R box has an option for front wheel drive, four wheel drive, or Low range four wheel drive. These will interchange with the AWD units, I believe. The gearing can be different, though, so be careful switching them around.( since the ft diff is part of the trans, a matching rear diff will have to be found)