Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new bumpers

slideshow86

I have been itching to make some sort of front bumper for awhile now. I dont have a tube bender so I was really unsure of how I was going to do it or what I really wanted. I went up to my shop today and just started throwing steel at it and this is what I came up w/. The pix kinda suck so ill take more on monday( going boarding tomorrow! :banana: ) I was unsure how I wanted to do my blinkers and had to get home so I just zip tied them behind it for now :-\ You dont really get that good of look at it but I think it turned out great. I am going to make a bull bar that is going to hold my kc's.

What do you guys think?

Old bumper I made 2.5 years ago for pushing people off the freeway. :grin:

Bumperoldpic2.jpg

Bumperoldpic1.jpg

Really crappy pix of the new bumper

Bumpernewpic1.jpg

Bumpernewpic2.jpg

Rear bumper I made in a hurry last week

1-26-08Logroadsandmudpic4.jpg

Ya I seem to just kinda throw steel at stuff to see what I like. Ill end up changing this one around. If I had more time I would have made a beefy skid plate, but it gives me somthing to do after work next week. :rolleyes: It really looks better in person. Like the things blocking my turn signals are locking hooks for recovery that you cant see. Ill take some day light pix.

Ya we dont have anything that just jumps out in front of us.

Thanks Guys!

Jess

For the turn signals, just grab the bulb sockets out of a rear taillight/brakelight from a subaru. I used legacy ones. Splice the wires from your stock turn signals in, and use a dremel to cut the hole in the side marker light bigger. If you make a notch in the hole, You can have the socket pop in and lock when you turn it. Use an amber dual filament bulb, and the clear side markers will light up the yellow you need. Helps simplify the front lighting scene.

For the turn signals, just grab the bulb sockets out of a rear taillight/brakelight from a subaru. I used legacy ones. Splice the wires from your stock turn signals in, and use a dremel to cut the hole in the side marker light bigger. If you make a notch in the hole, You can have the socket pop in and lock when you turn it. Use an amber dual filament bulb, and the clear side markers will light up the yellow you need. Helps simplify the front lighting scene.

Right On! I would have made somthing work better if I had the time. I was going to search for this mod but, its right here!

Thanks

Jess

I dont know. I used just enough steel to keep it solid but not too much to be too heavy. It is the same weight as the one I had on there so im not worried. I also have about 6.5-7hrs into it.

Now that Im a little more familiar w/ it. I am going to try to make one a little faster. But its still alot of work in one setting. I did it after a full 8hr day at work and got home at like 1am.

Send me some pix of what styles you guys like and/or would buy? Ill see what I can do.

Make offer?

I guess I'd really like omething with a flat face. Lights and hooks recesed or foldable. I like to be able to ue it as a pushbar for other vehichles. Without puncturing there rear hatch with tow hooks or buting my lights.

But overall I rthink the design is very nice. 2" reciever for which mount?????

Zap I totaly agree. Consider this Beta 1 :grin: I like the feedback.

This one isnt finished just yet. I have to work at it in sections and cant run legally w/o a front bumper.

I just used things I had laying around the shop. The only reason I used those tow hooks and not shackles is because it would have taken me too long to drill a 3/4" hole and plasma a piece out of a chunk of steel to hold the shackles. I want the tow points to be as "rated" as possible so thats what I threw on there. I was considering a front reciever but the design needs to have kickers that go to the stock tow points and bump up the gussets.

How would you guys like to see this wrap around the corners? I just wanted to try to save a little weight. Would you rather see it boxed in and wrap around yet slim enough to keep as much clearance as I have?

How would you guys like to see the lights mounted. This was a little hang up for me. As soon as I get a hoop made. I will hang my kc's off them and it will look trick.

And for the next one ill gusset it up enough to hande a winch and/or trailer. I build trailer hitches and will try to get it as "rated" as possible. Also, shackle style tow hooks that are also rated.

NEED MORE INPUT GUYS!

Thanks

Jess

(shoot did I just say I build custom trailer hitches for a living, damn.....:whistling: )