Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 Touring wagon

I got an 89 Touring wagon about 3 weeks ago, I was totally excited about it because it is the cleanest Subaru I've ever bought. The only problem with it was it had a blown head gasket. I had a motor that I rebuilt sitting on the floor in my shop so I changed everything over the day after I got it. I was so sure that the motor was going to run that I put it 100% back together before even seeing if it would sorta run for a few seconds. So I get it in there and It would run but not good at all. I tought I had messed up rebuilding it. So I messed around with a ton of little things but nothing seemed to make it run better. Last night my buddy Cody stoped by and Changed two of the Spark plug Wires around and it runs Like a top. I felt pretty stupid but I'm happy to have it running perfect. I just wanted to share my story of stupidity with everyone. Or maybe I can be spokesman for always check the easiest thing that's probably what it is.:headbang:

Jeff

Don't feel badly at all....I can't tell you all the stupid stuff I've done.

Been working on engines for 40 years, & I'm still dumb as a box of rocks!!

I'm proud that you posted.....confession is good fore the soul!

(And posting it might keep someone else from making the same mistake...

& that's one of the great strengths of the USMB)

ScottG

When I swapped engines in my coupe, I did the whole changeover in a night and got it running awesome. After I started driving it though, it wouldn't start back up after it had warmed up. Thought it was the fuel pump so I replaced it with a new one and still did the same thing. I finally got fed up with it and decided to start checking everything in the fuel system from the new pump, to the new filter. When I went to test the injector (SPFI), I pulled the plug out from under the manifold and it disconnected itself. I felt stupid, plugged it back together and haven't had a problem with it since. Talk about feeling stupid:rolleyes:

.......Or maybe I can be spokesman for always check the easiest thing ............

Jeff

Been there, done that kind of thing. It happens, what is interesting when you lay in bed and 3:30 am your eye's pop open and you go... aaaaha!

It's called the, "New man's hand." you will try to put in a bolt, or mechanical piece and fight and fight and you pass it too the new guy and he walks up and goes.. thunk... right in. :eek: Seen it many times.

oh.. nice wagon, very clean and good job on the engine. Maybe some day I will get a chance to rebuild one.