Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well I have begun rescuing Subarus from the local salvage auction and this week I got my hands on a 99 Forester. It was hit in the lower middle front (possibly a pole or tree) and the radiator fans ended up inside the timing belt cover.

I checked the timing and it was out about 5-6 teeth on the passenger bank, also the oil filter was punctured and mangled. After refilling and filtering it (there was about 1 liter left in the oil pan) and resetting the timing belt it started up nicely. I have not done a compression check yet (my gauge may not reach) so my question is this.

How far can the valve timing go out before the 2.5L will begin to.... interfere, and how long can an engine run without oil pressure before things start to take damage? If there was still a liter of oil in the pan, I would think the engine was shut off fairly soon after the accident, right? It runs smoothly and revs nicely, but its hard to give it a real test since there is no radiator and I don't want to also kill the water pump.

I agree. If it starts and runs smooth then you got "lucky". Also I doubt if it ran long after impact. If it sounds like a subaru when its running than the lack of oil after impact probaly didn't hurt it. Of course being a 2.5 it's just a matter of time before it craps itself anyway. Good luck!

Is this a SOHC or DOHC????

The DOHC is more likely to have damage as the valves can collide with eachother if the in. and ex. try to open at the same time. This is possible becasue the cams can get out of time to eachother.

The SOHC, valves hitting piston is still possible, but valves hitting valves cannot happen. There is no way for the valves to get "out of phase" with eachother, as they are all operated by the same cam (per head, of course)