Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally Pics of Lifted 84 GL, Lookey Here!!!

The "midgets" are my two sons... They both love my subaru!. My youngest, Nathan, is two years old, and all he talks about is "daddy car" and when I am working on it (every weekend it seems), he then says, "daddy car broke"...

It has a 4inch lift on it, 15inch puegot alloy rims, 205/75/15 all terrain Uniroyals on it, full window tint, Dual MP3, Bluetooth, HD radio deck, with Sirius in it, Pretty much rust free, Still looks awesome!!!

Still have the Hitachi Carb on it with the 1.8 stock, currently has 188,000 miles on it.

I keep burning up cheep Autozone axles out of it.. on the third one in the last 5 weeks, but I have put 10,000 miles on it in the last 4 months!!!. I can change out an axle on the side of the road so fast (down to about 30-45 minutes), that axles are almost a "consumable" like brake pads.

Those pics were at Oregon Inlet, just south of Nags Head, on the Outer Banks of N.C. I only live 1 hour from OBX, and 1 hour 20 minutes from the Bonner Bridge that connects the North Outer Banks, to Hatteras Island, where Oregon Inlet is. As you can see from the Pics, the beach is awesome there, and wide, with dunes you can actually climb on!!.

another 15 miles or so, is another ramp to get on the beach.. 50 miles south of there is the Lighthouse, with Cape Point, and much more beach to drive on.

In any case, I love this sube. I had the first EA82 coupe lifted in the states, had two brats, another hatchback, Loyale wagon, and a Justy, but this one is by far my favorite. My wife has a 99 Shoutback that we just had the Head Gaskets and other stuff done (2 grand), but she'll run another 100k without much trouble. I broke down a couple of weeks ago on Staten Island when traveling for work, luckily an auto parts store was up the road, I diagnosed it as a coil, got one and installed it right there, and kept going.

One thing about the EA81's, most competant shade tree mechanics can keep them running. It isn't rocket science, but does take some smarts and technique, and of course, the help of those on the board. all the time and money I have put in it lately, if I would have to pay somebody to work on it, it would have been junked long ago. This just shows the uniqueness and the love of the older Subes.. nothing out there compares.

enough of my long post...

some more opinions would be nice.. I will get some more pics post

The lift was hand built by my good friend, Bill M. (the original BushBrat) from the board, a couple of years ago. He built my previous brat with the 6 inch lift, and I had to finish it. He got that brat painted camo.

This car was his wifes. He built up the lift and installed it, and she never drove it. I helped with some of the lift. I was well aware of the car. He got divorced and the car sat in his garage for over a year, as it needed some work, and she got the car in the divorce, but could not afford/would not afford to fix it.

I got the car from her by trading my HP laptop and 100 bux!!! I made out like a bandit, or so I thought. Within 1 week, I had to redo the back wheel cylinders. 2 weeks, an axle. 4 weeks, the manual trans lost the center diff, and another two axles.

Good thing I am a very handy guy and can fix these things (of course with guidance from the board). I sourced a transmission and installed it over 6 hours over 1 weekend. I have done much work and spent much money on it.. I do not want to add it all up, as it would probably make me sick (over 2 grand since november, including buying it), but it is well worth it, and it is a lot of fun.

About a get together!!! I travel for work (as an Independent HUD REAC property inspector), and I get all over VA/NC/PA/NJ.

I think for Southeastern guys, the best areas to have a meet and have a lot of fun would be Uwharrie (Near Charlotte), Big Levels (Charlottesville/Waynesboro), or, Shoe Creek (Crabtree Falls, not far from Charlottesville/Lynchburg, VA).

I have 4 wheeled in the Virginia areas, and all over the OBX, but I have been wanting to goto Uwharrie, as they say (on the jeep boards), it is one of the best 4 wheelings on the east coast. I just don't want to go alone, and don't want to tear my ride up.

anybody with interest, let me know via email. I can help organize, and I LOVE to camp, and can get away on a weekend, at the last minute...

/mike

mikldom@yahoo.com

• 3 weeks later...

Very Nice! Where did you get the kit? My current 88 wagon is not far from being streetable again, picking up another 88 wagon donor this weekend. I haven't put very much into this so far. My wife would love me to start putting money into something she would drive, instead of motorbikes :)

Did you run into any issues lifting your wagon? Any resources that I could look into for my 88? I miss taking my cars offroad.

My first was a 84 Toyota Tercel 4WD with a 6-speed manual. I thought about getting another, but the Scooby Doo showed up at a great price point. I actually was able to drive it the day I got it, but carb issues keep it from passing emissions now.

Very Nice! Where did you get the kit? My current 88 wagon is not far from being streetable again, picking up another 88 wagon donor this weekend. I haven't put very much into this so far. My wife would love me to start putting money into something she would drive, instead of motorbikes :)

Did you run into any issues lifting your wagon? Any resources that I could look into for my 88? I miss taking my cars offroad.

My first was a 84 Toyota Tercel 4WD with a 6-speed manual. I thought about getting another, but the Scooby Doo showed up at a great price point. I actually was able to drive it the day I got it, but carb issues keep it from passing emissions now.