Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is the “newest” old Subaru would you buy?

If you could find it and had the money, what year Subaru would you buy and why?

Looking for a wagon to replace the Chevy van that is about to fall apart. My idea is keep it simple for a vehicle. At what year did they start adding items to make it more and more harder to maintain?

Value everyone’s opinion and realize there will be no right answer.

The Lynn’s

Well I like the Wagons with the dual range trans 4x4 ...

I have a 84 Wagon and a 88 Wagon ... I have also had Brats in the past..

The 88 has some more get up and go for a 4cyl. SPFI..

The 84 is no rocket but not to bad for a carb...

Problem is finding them without Rust ... My 84 is now starting to show some rust Si Im gonna POR-14 it with there patch fill, just a small hole about the size of a quarter..

The 88 has ZERO rust and that is gonna get a coat of POR-14 undercarriage paint this summer...

I know the 84 will climb almost anything... The 88 I have not tested yet in bad weather but it has the dual range trans so Im sure it will preform the same as the 84...

Never drove a AWD Subie in the snow so I have no clue ...

'89 STD Hatchback....

Replace EA71 with an EA81 and install the EA82 SPFI, and the EA82 5 speed D/R.

Add a 3 gauge cluster with oil pressure, volts, and coolant temp.

That would be THE most reliable combination possible. Done right and properly maintained I could easily see such a machine going well over 500k.

If you absolutely must have "turn-key" then a 90 to 94 Legacy is the best bet. Not only easy to maintain, but parts availibility is excelent for at least the next 10 years or more.

GD

Since I didn't load the pics into my acct. I had to borrow from Drive.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this...any picture will not do it justice. At the show I had them pop the hood. :slobber: :slobber: I wanted to get behind the line, but they had strict orders.

The 360 and the 22B are definately on my list of must haves.

attic_brat_pg1.jpg

boy, that is a subjective question...

had a whole lot of fun with my old '89 GL wagon, but am also enjoying (altho not at the moment, but that is another story) my '90 Legacy wagon....

hmmm - I think I would go with '90-94 Legacy wagon myself, preferrably in a 5 spd...much more comfortable than the GL/Loyale line(more leg room, better ride, etc), but still pretty easy to work on and still non-interference,

still has the reliability factor...has to be the wagon for me - need that extra cargo space...

WOW...lets see.. I just got one of my dream Subarus ..waiting for me in Seattle ...my 83 GL-10 coupe...Maybe someday a Gen 1 brat ..I have my 88 XT6..Someday still want my lifted EA82 badazz wagon..and I have an 2008 Impreza 5 door...... I think as long as it says Subaru..I probably will want it:)