Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bleeding brakes: a couple of questions

Guest Legacy

Well it's been a while but I'm back with a couple of questions about bleeding brakes. How much fluid would it take to bleed at all 4 wheels?

Also, is there any preferred order to follow? I remember reading something along the lines of going from the farthest wheel to the nearest, but Haynes has something different. Any opinions?

Ah yes, I almost forgot: it's a 91 Legacy FWD 5 speed. Some of you might remember me from a while back, I think I last posted in December or January. Earlier this summer I passed the 200,000 km "mile"stone. It was kind of neat to see all 6 digits turn over. I wonder if I'll get to see it happen again...

Thanks

Guest meep424

Rt rear

Lt rear

Rt frt

Lt frt

a small bottle will just do it, if I recall. also, stick w/ DOT 3. 4 gives higher boil point, but has just a tad "squishy" feel to it compared to 3. Don't know why, but it does.

Mike

Guest tcspeer

Legacy, I hope you don't mind if I add another question to your post. Should the car be running when bleeding the brakes? also should you pump the brakes or just step on it once?

Guest pmonro

Now that is an interesting question.

I take by saying "bleed" you just want to remove a bit of air in a line or cylinder. This takes just a small amount of fluid.

However there appears to be a difference in density between brake fluid brands. I recently replaced brake fluid in 2 vehicles using DOT3 specification fluid and there was a clear difference in density. The removed fluid which was darker than the new clearly floated on top of the new fluid.

It did not seem to make any difference to performance

Guest meep424

car running? better off. less heat, and you won't accidentaly knock the bleed hose off the nip from too much pressure.

pump vs to the floor. both....pump to the floor, making sure you keep fluid in the reservoir to avoid going dry. keep pumping 'till clear fluid is coming out the bleed hose. then tighten, goto next wheel.

pmonro: I've seen that too. you'd think it'd be the other way, with h2o-saturated fluid sinking to the bottom...

mike

Guest Legacy777

the actual FSM braking bleeding procedure is

front right

rear left

front left

rear right

There's been debate on other boards about the procedure and doing the furthest away first. Me personally have had better luck with the FSM procedure

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

maybe the 'cross' type is recommended because of the split circuits? I think a lot of cars nowadays have the opposite corners on a circuit and the 'other' corners on a different circuit. So if you loose one half the master cyl. (?) or something (anyone?) you still get one fron and the opposite rear brake working.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest Legacy777

My bad I should've looked at what meep posted a little more closely.

Yes you want to do diaganol because of split brake systems.

Some people recommend the order to be

LR

RF

RR

RF