Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When I drive it the rear end has a growling noise at low speed as soon as you start moving and as speed increases it gets worse, has a harmonic sound with it at higher speeds, replaced the rear bearings 10K ago, brakes are good, new tires. I can't think of anything else that would be making the noise it's currently makin out of the rear end. Would be happy to have input if you think otherwise.

Thanks

I was just asking for more info so someone else could help you.

Is it an automatic? I had an Impreza automatic that had a similiar issue. Since it sounded like it was coming from the rear, I changed the rear differential fluid...problem still there. I changed the front on a whim, poof....sounds went away. Perhaps something (cheap) to at least try before you put it under the knife.

This is just my two cents, but is it an AWD?

I have a Legacy with AWD, and had four different tires on it.

it made a weird howling sound in rear and i was told it needed a new

rear differential. i actually bought a used one.

(was stupidly buying cheap used tires for a while cause'a no

money) and when i put 4 matching near new michelin hydro's

from ebay on it the sound went away.

still have the rear diff 20000 miles later...

This is just my two cents, but is it an AWD?

I have a Legacy with AWD, and had four different tires on it.

it made a weird howling sound in rear and i was told it needed a new

rear differential. i actually bought a used one.

(was stupidly buying cheap used tires for a while cause'a no

money) and when i put 4 matching near new michelin hydro's

from ebay on it the sound went away.

still have the rear diff 20000 miles later...

your point is well taken, the rear diff is very hardy, failures are few. but there still, some do fail.....

if you do replace the rear diff, just get a used one. they fail so rarely that buying a new one or rebuilding is pointless. used ones can be had super cheap...because there's no market for them. there's a marketplace forum on here, you can post there and someone probably has one.

they don't fail very often so i'd double check some things first. i wonder if the replaced bearings are failing again? maybe one wasn't installed properly or the hub was damaged when the previous ones failed...or the axle nut is working loose?

It is a 5spd AWD, I changed the fluid in the rear when the noise first started, also put 4 new Michelin X radials about 2 weeks ago, I haven't tried replacing the fluid in the tranny, that would definitely be an option before dropping the diff. I pretty much have done everything else I knew to try before narrowing it the rear diff, I have owned many 4wd and awd and have never had a problem with the rear diff. I am going to change the fluid in the tranny differential today, if that doesn't work I guess it's off with the rear diff. I'll keep posted as to what the problem ends up being. Thanks for all of the help.

Shawn

on the only bad diff that i saw, chunks of metal came out when i changed the fluids. it should be very obvious whether it's the front diff or rear, sounds like you definitely have it narrowed down to the rear?

driveshafts can cause noises too - they are best to remove for positive identification. the joints and carrier bearings can fail.

My experience with the Subby awd is pretty limited,when I changed the diff fluid in the rear end it looked pretty good, that was the other thing I wasn't sure about is the drive line stuff. I have had U joints go bad on my truck and that causes a real growling noise when moving.

drive shaft noise is usually a "clunk" at gear changes. See if it clunks when tapping the throtle. if it does, it's generally a U joint. Trouble is that AWD doesn't mean 4wd - the rears only kick in when the fronts lose traction

If the diff fluid was "clean", it's not too likely to be a diff. (silver stuff in the oil is a bad sign) Go to a wrecking yard and get one - it's not "fun" but not too difficult to swap the diff

I just did the rear pax bearing on a 97 - it was howling from about 10mph up and just didn't go away.

It wasn't exactly fun, but I can do another in 1/2 the time (I gather you don't fix your own? - you need either a hydraulic press or the hub tamer)

Shawn,

Please check the rear wheel bearings.

I know they were replaced, please read on.

The rear wheel bearing on these (Imp chassis)

are

notorious -

they will go bad in that amount

of miles when they are not repacked

with the proper lube. Some were shipped

with the incorrect lube (shippng only lube)

and needed repacked with wheel bearing grease. .

This is a documented issue

I'd hate to see you chasing a red herring.

I'll bet it's the wheel bearings, but don't discard the driveline idea before the rear diff. I too have had drivelines growl at me and make really odd noises. Personally, I've never experienced the clunk described as common in drivelines. Not saying it doesn't happen, only that my experiences have been other sounds more like what you're describing.