Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird noise from rear end, thunk thunk thunk

I have a mystery noise and for the life of me I can't figure out what is causing it.

It only does it after I have been driving for a few miles. When it's cold there is no noise. Its coming from the passenger rear. It sounds like a thunk thunk thunk, while driving straight, as soon as I turn the noise changes to a grinding sound. When I put it into 4wd the noise stops. It's louder while decerating.

I have pulled the wheel off and the drum looked at the brakes... everything looks fine.

Could this be an axle or wheel bearing?

It's on a 88 GL w/ 235k

good call on the lug nut, my wife had a wheel fall off after a certain large tire shop changed the tires. if the noise changes very dramatically like that it prob is lug nut. I find most thunks are axles, and most grinds are bearings though if those lugs are tight.

could be a bone dry bearing. check them cuz i had the same exact sound and it was a dry bearing. the solution to that is simply repack and ur good to go.

That's what I think I had one go out in eastern Wa and drove all the way home with a thump thump thump. sounds just like what I had going on.

Jeff

Pull the bearings out and check to see if there's any discoloration or marks on them. If there is, replace but if not, repack and try it again. Basically a bearing pack is labor but the bearing replacement is kinda expensive. Did it on my RX and the bearing retailed at like $120:eek: