Ultimate Subaru Message Board

high pitched squealing at startup when cold.

Or the silly idea of a new belt :headbang:

nipper

New belt! Why back in my day when belt made noise we tightened it up and ran it some more. Then when that didn't work we put some stuff on it, tightened it again and kept going! Then when the belt broke we started in on the ol' lady's pantyhose! Then when we ran out of that we....

OK, that's enough. Yes by all means, as new belt is the ticket. they are cheap after all.:)

New belt! Why back in my day when belt made noise we tightened it up and ran it some more. Then when that didn't work we put some stuff on it, tightened it again and kept going! Then when the belt broke we started in on the ol' lady's pantyhose! Then when we ran out of that we....

OK, that's enough. Yes by all means, as new belt is the ticket. they are cheap after all.:)

HAHAHAHA

what no cotten rope?

nipper

Had similar symptoms on my EA81. For a looong time I couldn't figure it out. I asked around at the local Subaru shop and was told it was the water pump. It wasn't leaking or malfunctioning, so at my convenience I put on a new one..voila, noise gone:banana: .

My 2 bucks

These alternator belts have to be, what seems almost ridiculously tight, or they will squeal.

FWIW.........These cars don't seem to like Daco alternator belts either.

I don't know what brand you installed, just thought I would throw that out there for whom ever it may concern.

and I do mean cold :)

EJ25

lasts for maybe 3-5 seconds then goes away. I'm guessing something is a little oil starved at first...

How Cold?

I would try a new belt first no mater what I did.

I have used belt dressing on generators (commonly).

Put it this way if you try a belt dressing spray and the noise is even temporarily better skip all analysis and replace belt and or check tensioner.

Then again some situations just make noise. Good thing yours is only temporary!

It could be the belt tensioner? Can they be lubricated?

Then again as others have suggested it could be the water pump.

Or is it just that your engine is ****** cold:)

My 95 legacy is doing the same. Cold ,igh pitch squeal on start up, then goes away. Seems to also squeal more at idle, as i increase rpm it stops. I justs tightened the power steering belt and when cold will see if it helps.

Would appreciate knowing what your fix is when you figure out the problem.

I replaced the belts and up until then it did not squeal, so I am hoping that tightening works.

Thanks

monk

and I do mean cold :)

EJ25

lasts for maybe 3-5 seconds then goes away. I'm guessing something is a little oil starved at first...

waterpump, belts, vac lines all replaced 12k ago when engine was built....

The belts do stretch during initial break-in period so my question is whether they've ever been tightened after they were first installed. You don't want to overdo do it as this will put undue stress on your accessory bearings.

I'll have to see if I can convince my wife to start it while I watch/listen...

It will be very difficult to pinpoint the noise by listening. If it's not the belt tension, which would be my bet, you'd have to remove the belts and check for smoothness of your accessory bearings.

I did tighten the power steering belt. I appears to have fixed the squeal.

Guess the belt relaxed after the inital installation and thus the squeal.

I will give it a longer test and also with colder weather.

Thanks to the USMB for suggestions. My sub has 200K miles.

monk

just another thought

the alt must put out some serious current

just after starting to re-charge the bat.

belt swap -> put the old one in the smuggler's locker.

Just had one break on my 94 Legacy wagon,

went to the locker, back in action in less time

than it took to type this. (well almost)

Don't forget to loosen the lock nut in the tensioner

before cranking on the adjustment bolt.

Follow up.

I tightened the steering pump belt, about 2 complete adjustment turns and the squealing is gone, at least for now. Temperature this a.m. approx 35 degrees, low enough to previously cause the squeal and alas, no more pig squeal.

I tightened a little more than what I had previously considered as the proper torque.

monk50

just another thought

the alt must put out some serious current

just after starting to re-charge the bat.

belt swap -> put the old one in the smuggler's locker.

Just had one break on my 94 Legacy wagon,

went to the locker, back in action in less time

than it took to type this. (well almost)

Don't forget to loosen the lock nut in the tensioner

before cranking on the adjustment bolt.

• 2 months later...

Something that makes a lot of noise out here in Wyoming during the Cold Months is the AC Compressor. It freezes up or something and makes a very distinct noise when you start the car. you may have already figured out the problem but wanted to mention that for future reference.

• 9 months later...

Hi, Bumping this thread up with a followup question.

2001 forester 92k miles. cold engine squealing belt and lack of pwr steering assist until all warmed up a few minutes later, then all is normal. Fluid level ok.

Whereabouts is the power steering belt tension adjustment gizmo located? What procedure do I follow to tighten it a bit? thx.

Hi, Bumping this thread up with a followup question.

2001 forester 92k miles. cold engine squealing belt and lack of pwr steering assist until all warmed up a few minutes later, then all is normal. Fluid level ok.

Whereabouts is the power steering belt tension adjustment gizmo located? What procedure do I follow to tighten it a bit? thx.

the adjuster is right between th alt and the ps pump. Remove the belt gaurd, and it is very easy to see. The nut in the center of the pulley is the lock nut, lossen it a bit, then tighten the long adjuster bolt to snug up the belt.

As a rule, I'd rather set it barely snug to start. Then if it still squeels tighten a little more. I like to run them just barely as tight as they need to be, so there is minimal side load on the accesorry(alt, PS pump) bearings.