Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Project EJ Hatch

Pooparu

i guess i will add this before earl does, we got it running, never seen a grown man dance like that:banana:

started right up after a few hours with a wiring diagram and some more wires hooked up. and sounded great :headbang:

and now, the clean up, aw gee i think i might be busy for that. :rolleyes:

damn you glory hog...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're grounded! That's a mess :dead:

Seriously - time to invest in some plastic condiut. :lol:

I see butt splices - didn't your mommy teach you how to solder and heat shrink?

Here's a tip - put some RTV on the connection right before you heat shrink it.

GD

you do see butt spices, because it was better then the twist and tape that earl was doing.:rolleyes:

IT'S RUNNING, IT'S RUNNING, IT'S RUNNING!!!!!!!!:banana::banana::banana::banana:

It only took about 2 years.

A very big thanks to Matt (aka mellow65) for helping me with the F-ing wiring.

now the clean up begins.

DSC01970.jpg

looks like the hatch puked up it's wires

So I went to tap plastics with my pattern and they wanted $85.00 to cut it out so I'm not going to go that route. I did manage to find the perfect material. Its call ABS and it’s a very durable 1/8" think plastic. What also great about it is that it come in a textured pattern that almost matches the original interior so it should blend it well. I'm going to cut the pattern out of vinyl and stick it on the material then very carefully cut it out using my dremel tool. I bought 2 pieces just in case the first one turns out like crap. I should have it all fabricated by tomorrow and I'll post some photos and give my opinion on the substrate as well.

I could cast a alluminum one if you sent me a pattern, $20

Update: Well I just got the radiator put back in and hooked up. I've started to clip down my wires (both from the EA and EJ harness). I've also started to lay all of my wires out along the engine bay. I've also decided to mount the ECU in under the passenger side dash, just behind the glove box. It looks like everything will fit perfectly there. I also went and purchased everything I need to put the wires together correctly.

I do seem to have a draw of power coming from somewhere. I have yet to investigate but I'll have to address it soon.

I'm hoping to have it put together enough to take it for a spin around the block this weekend. I also need to get the damn thing out of 4WD. It got stuck when I installed the shift linkage and I can't seem to get the bugger out. I figure I'll try driving it around and giving it a tug then. (the 4WD lever that is) :grin:

Update: So I went to the junkyard last weekend to get a few things to finish up this project. Bumper brackets, high pressure fuel lines, fusible link set-up from and EA82 and a 12 volt point from a Chevy berretta. I managed to get both the EJ and EA wiring harasses cut down and taped up. I fed all the wires though the cab of the car into the engine bay and plugged everything up that I could. I still need to connect the main wires but everything is sitting where I want it to be. Once I get all of my wires connected I’ll try and fire it up. If it runs then I’ll start to put the interior back together. Needless to say I didn’t get to take it around the block last weekend, but maybe next weekend.

It's not as bad as it looks.

engine_2.jpg

I'm trying to make the engine bay as clean as I can so when I'm finished it looks factory installed. Trying is the key word here:)

engine_1.jpg

Looking good!

I took WEEKS cleaning up my wiring, and still under the dash it looks a bit crazy. But, out of sight, out of mind!

Have you figured out what you are going to do about your fuel system?

I think I'm going to mount the surge tank on the inside passenger fender wall in the engine bay and mount the HP fuel pump next to it on the same wall. I'll leave the other pump where it is and have it pump into the surge tank then pump out of the surge tank into the motor, then out of the motor back into the surge tank and finally out of the surge tank back into the main fuel tank. In theory that should work, but I guess we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: So I went a little crazy cleaning up wires and clipped a bunch out of the EA harness that I shouldn’t have. Apparently even though the connectors were not connected to anything they were somehow intertwined with one another. So right now I don’t have any power going to anything. My ignition is dead. I’ve already checked the battery and the grounds. I put straight power to the group of nine wires that I cut out near the old battery location and got power to my ignition but it caused it to be backwards. So when I went to turn the car off it activated the starter. I’m not really sure on that one, but I’m having no luck recreating that mess of wires so I’ll have to go to the junk yard and see if I can find another early 80’s Subaru with a feedback carburetor and cut that end of the harness off and try and integrate it with mine. I feel like a total dumb azz, and especially when Matt told me to just leave it alone. Arrrrg! Well my journey continues and if anyone has any other ideas on how else to fix my stupid problem please feel free to comment, except for the fact that I shouldn’t be allowed to ever touch wiring again.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Well thanks to Matt again for getting this damn thing running. We couldn’t figure out why clipping out some plugs that didn’t go to anything would cause the ignition to lose power, but being the super geniuses that he is he figured out a way around it. So since my last update I’ve been able to get my tachometer working, rear bumper put on, rear license plate put on, further cleaned up some wires under the hood and started planning my battery relocate project. I’ve got everything I need with the exception of the kill switch. As far as the wiring goes I just need to get my temp gauge, oil pressure, and headlights working then I should be all finished with the wiring. That’s if you don’t count the stereo and fog lights.

So in the next couple of weeks I hope to have finished: battery relocation, over flow tank for radiator, drive around the block, get the transmission out of 4WD, change oil and whatever other small projects I come across.

Here are some photos of the car as it sits now.

DSC02099.jpg

DSC02103.jpg

DSC02101.jpg

DSC02104.jpg

DSC02109.jpg

DSC02111.jpg

Update: Well I’ve got a few more things out of the way. Let’s see I installed an over flow tank for the radiator & relocated my battery to the rear of the car with a super sweet battery kill switch. I did also manage to paint my wipers but have yet to install them. I was able to take this thing for its first ride today (It was really fun). I cruised over to matt’s house to see if we could get the thing out of 4WD. It’s been stick in there ever since the linkage was installed. It came out of a running and working 1987 GL wagon and it never had a problem with the 4WD before so I’m not really sure what’s going on. We’ve tried everything and can’t get it out so I think I’m going to have to pull the transmission out and mess around with it then to see if I can’t get it out, but if I can’t then I guess I’ll be in the market for a new 5 speed Duel range. I might wait until it warms up a bit more to do that. I think the next thing I should do is to install my VR6 roof antenna ‘cause I’ll have to pull the head liner out for that, but when I’m finished I can start to put my interior back together and clean it up a bit.

DSC02122.jpg

DSC02120.jpg

DSC02121.jpg

coolant_tank.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that it is just the angle but it looks like there is no spacer/ stereo adapter in there which on most decks is necessary for the newer deeper radios.

On another note your hatch looks freaking sweet!! I am jealous though I think I am done daydreaming about going lifted...Maybe.

Mike