Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wet trunk STILL!?!?!

My old beater wagon, before it died, needed ice scraped off the inside of the windshield during the winter.

This is not a sign of water intrusion per-se... but rather that something inside your vehicle is WET. My mom's Dakota (NO RUST) has this same trouble on the windshield. I checked, and her floor mats are soaked from snow/winter etc.

Steve, is there anything that you have put in your trunk that is damp/wet?

Its always hard to tell what is wet in the winter, because frozen = feels dry. :-\

Do you garage your car?

Proly just what they said. ^

As winter wheeling and getting in and out of the car has kept the floor of my GL damp as well. I need to get some rubber floor mats.

Or.

My wagon was always wet in back after I bought it.

Turned out to be water leaking around the rear window seal. (proly not it on your sedan unless it seeps through the rear shelf and into the trunk)

And I had a poorly sealing tail light.

So everytime it rained (alot here) I had a steady drip onto the rear carpet.

Some clear silicone and black foam rubber tape from home depot has 99.9% eliminated the problems for me. :grin:

Had to throw the carpet away though. Was too far gone. Metal under it is good thought. No rust.

My first guess would be a leaky trunk seal or rear window seal.

Would a leaky rear window do it? My rear window "might" leak. I saw some drips on the C pillars that were old but growing a bit every once in awhile so i cleaned them off and i didnt see anything else and its raining out now. I figured i might have gotten lucky and it would have been some condensation on the rear window dripping down since the drips didnt get longer until wintertime.

As for damp stuff in the trunk Jon, my floor matt was frozen about 1 month ago...probably from my shovel.

I'm fighting a similar battle with my coupe right now. Tons of leaky window seals, trunk seals, cracked windshield, etc. I have this project moth-balled right now, but these methods wont work for a DD.

One idea in the mean time is to go to a hardware store and pick up a bucket of those salts that absorb water. Just leave it in your car and hope for the best.

This is not a sign of water intrusion per-se... but rather that something inside your vehicle is WET.

Correct. My floor mats and carpet were terminally wet because my rear wheel wells were rusted out. Since the original poster is from Connecticut, I thought his car might be rusty, so that's why I posted that. Sometimes you can't see the holes by looking in the wheel well, particularly if there is old undercoating in there covering them up. Being that you're from NY I'm sure you're familiar with this (I grew up south of Buffalo)...

I hate road salt,

Andy

backwoodsboy is familiar with the wheel well rot :grin: ( the car he drives is my beloved 92 Loyale Bucky that he himself did the repair on last year).

Hatchsubs EA81 Sedan is in amazingly good shape especially for being a NE car.In a few weeks we are going to be addressing some minor rust issues with it and get it all under control.

I wouldnt be suprised if its just caused by the "wet" inside the car from out lousy weather..snow,rain,snow,rain,melt,flood,rain,rain,snow,melt,fog. I actually have a ton of moisture built up in the Imp right now.We need a good dry warm sunny day to open the cars up and let them air.

Hatchsubs EA81 Sedan is in amazingly good shape especially for being a NE car.In a few weeks we are going to be addressing some MINOR rust issues with it and get it all under control.

Hahhahaha u havent seen it in awhile. Its got some nice rot coming in. Almost makes me want to get something else to drive in the winter but i dont have the money and the sedan is great in the white stuff. Cant wait to see you and Jon, Connie. Also cant wait to see your new Impreza...and the coupe when it gets here.

Hahhahaha u havent seen it in awhile. Its got some nice rot coming in. Almost makes me want to get something else to drive in the winter but i dont have the money and the sedan is great in the white stuff. Cant wait to see you and Jon, Connie. Also cant wait to see your new Impreza...and the coupe when it gets here.

Steve..that thing has got to have only minor rot...dont make me stuff your tall rear under the XT6 and show you real rust :lol::lol:

And dont you worry..we will get that Sedan taken care of. John is a wiz with his welder...look what he did for Bucky..gave him not only a new home but a new lease of life.

I am booking the autoshipper today for the coupe..should be here around the end of April..got an awesome quote of $795..top load :banana::banana:If we drop it off April 12th..then they estimated 14 days till it gets here.

Steve..that thing has got to have only minor rot...dont make me stuff your tall rear under the XT6 and show you real rust :lol::lol:

And dont you worry..we will get that Sedan taken care of. John is a wiz with his welder...look what he did for Bucky..gave him not only a new home but a new lease of life.

I am booking the autoshipper today for the coupe..should be here around the end of April..got an awesome quote of $795..top load :banana::banana:If we drop it off April 12th..then they estimated 14 days till it gets here.

Ill let u drive the sedan...if i can drive the coupe :). Eh Ill let u drive the sedan anyways.

• 2 months later...

Well just letting everyone know that i still have a damp trunk. I had installed GL-10 Tail lights and thought that i hadnt sealed them well. So off they came and sure enough it looked like that was where the water was coming in. So i siliconed the crap of of the car side of the gasket and slapped them back in. Figured i was done with it. Nope. Still getting wet trunks. I pulled everything out and then it rained again. I opened the now empty trunk and it was bone dry. What gives? Should i wait for hard downpours or something?