Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird whining noise (from AC) after engine is first shut off

Guest HBDad

I own a 2003 LL Bean Subaru Outback. Anyway, I often get a weird whining noise (think Chewbacca from Star Wars) when I first shut off the car after a long drive with the Climate Control/Air Conditioning on. It lasts about 3 to 5 seconds and then goes away. Does anyone have any clue what this might be?

Guest Strakes

Could it be the cooling fan(s) that stays on after shutdown? I know that many times, mine stays on for a few seconds after shutdown. If that's it, then it's perfectly normal.

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

If not the fans, maybe just a weird orifice tube/expansion valve issue as the pressure in the A/C system equalizes?

let us know when you find out OK?

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

• 2 months later...

HBDad,

I have a 2000 Outback 2.5 with the same issue. Good analogy by the way, Chewbacca. It happens when the ambient temp is above 85 degrees. It happens on up-pressure conditions, such as throttle lift-off at a stop light or passing gear acceleration or when it is above 90, when I turn the engine off. In the last example it will whine / groan for a good 15 - 30 seconds. Any ideas would be helpful. There is nothing on the Subaru tech site nor has the dealer found anything.