Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ-swap checklist and part numbers

Numbchux

I'm working with this '86 and collecting parts to do the swap. I'm trying to do the swap in a day or 2 (don't have a garage.....so I'll be borrowing space). so I've been compiling a list to make sure I've got everything I need. so I thought I'd post it up, with info on where I got all the parts.

mandatory:

adapter plate. Bought 2 M. Rose ones through AA when I did my car. left over.

heater core lines. 3' of 5/8" inner diameter hose, plenty for both lines.

rad hose adapters. got my originals at NAPA, will be getting part number tomorrow

rad hoses. Both lines for a '97 outback fit perfectly on a Loyale radiator. subaru part numbers 45167AC010 and 45167AA020

radiator fan. I got a generic one from Advance auto parts for ~$50. works great.

optional, but good idea:

T-belt kit. couple sellers on ebay offering the full kit.

water pump. included in above kit

clutch. Beck/Arnley new one from RockAuto for an XT6, holds up great to EJ22 power.

radiator. performanceradiator.com, 1731CBR for a '92 loyale.

alt belt. it's a belt.....get it wherever it's cheapest

fuel pump. only required if replacing a carbed motor. I just ordered one for a '90 Ford Grand Squire wagon, we'll see

tstat. OEM. 21200AA072, 21236AA010 for the gasket

hose clamps. 4x2" and 4x1"

I highly recommend http://www.rockauto.com for most of these. they have some of the cheapest prices, even on OEM parts.

looks about right. I would also add coolant, motor oil, oil filter, gear oil if needed

a bunch of fuses in case you get a short somewhere.

might want to consider starting fluid to help is turn over and a fire extinguisher in case it gets en fuego....

associated exhaust gaskets.

video camera pointed at the car on start up and with you in the frame so we can watch you do the happy dance. :banana:

Thanks all I can think of for now.

Have fun

I didn't see Ej engine and harness on the list :lol:

hehe. figured that was kinda obvious :-p

and I'm going up to the junk yard tomorrow to see what they want for a flywheel so I can have one drilled out and ready to go.

and yes, all fluids. all stuff I've got around.

You use the pres. plate, disc, and T/O bearing. My swap has 20-ish,000 mi. on it and it never slips.

Did you already sort out the top passenger side motor to tranny bolt/stud? I used 2 engine studs and welded them together, after i mocked them up and cut them to the right size of course.

~Josh~

painter. the only thing that's different between an XT6 kit and a non-turbo 4-cyl one (Beck/Arnley uses the same part number for the RX and XT6...) is the pressure plate. puts more clamping force on the disc, means more power can be held, which is necessary. my 4-cyl EA82 disc only lasted about 10k miles behind the EJ22. I've already put about 15k on it since the XT6 clutch, and it's still working like day one.

Did you already sort out the top passenger side motor to tranny bolt/stud? I used 2 engine studs and welded them together, after i mocked them up and cut them to the right size of course.

the M Rose plate includes all the bolts needed, you drill out the threads on the engine bellhousing, then thread the bolts from the engine side into the adapter plate, and then the same from the tranny side. works very well.

painter. the only thing that's different between an XT6 kit and a non-turbo 4-cyl one (Beck/Arnley uses the same part number for the RX and XT6...) is the pressure plate. puts more clamping force on the disc, means more power can be held, which is necessary. my 4-cyl EA82 disc only lasted about 10k miles behind the EJ22. I've already put about 15k on it since the XT6 clutch, and it's still working like day one.

the M Rose plate includes all the bolts needed, you drill out the threads on the engine bellhousing, then thread the bolts from the engine side into the adapter plate, and then the same from the tranny side. works very well.

I know you know what you are talking about,but has I asked what is a xt6 and what year if this is a car. thanks

You use the pres. plate, disc, and T/O bearing. My swap has 20-ish,000 mi. on it and it never slips.

~Josh~

so what you are saying is to use the xt6 pres. plate ,disc and t/o bearing from a xt6.this will all work. I want to buy new not remanufactered. in the write up I think it says something like use a bearing from a nissan truck ?.

so what you are saying is to use the xt6 pres. plate ,disc and t/o bearing from a xt6.this will all work. I want to buy new not remanufactered. in the write up I think it says something like use a bearing from a nissan truck ?.

yep, the nissan throwout bearing is only necessary when using an XT6 clutch kit and an EA81 tranny. if you've got an EA82 trans, the XT6 bearing will work fine.

let me recommend the Beck/Arnley one from Rock Auto again. it's a high quality new unit, not reman'ed, for the price of reman'ed.

• 2 weeks later...

ok guys got my adapter plate on the way,I think. got a new clutch kit for the xt6.purchased a ej 2.2 from a 1995 legacy.but it was an auto trans and the small bearing that came in the clutch kit will not fit in the end of the crank. do I have to get a bushing for the crank??

NO . The motor I got is from a 95 legacy that had a auto trans. just that the end of the crank confussed me the way subaru made the end of the crank,most engines I have worked on (none subaru )there is a bushing or bearing in the end of the crank for the pilot shaft,if you are working on one with a stanard trans.