Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 lug swap using EJ parts, need to confirm axle usage

s'ko

I am putting front EJ hubs into my RX.

I layed out the EA82 hub and axle and the EJ hub and axle and it looks like the EJ axle is too long by an inch. Is that ok?

Who else has done a EJ 5 lug swap into a EA82.?

bw

i thought that on the ea82 cars all you have to swap are the hubs, not the axles.

EJ hubs means EJ knuckles, which means EJ axles, which means EJ brakes, which means EJ struts, etc.

I'm running '92 Legacy axles on my car. they work just fine, and there seems to be a similar amount of play in the DOJ compared to stock.

btw, the OEM part number for the axles I'm using are the same for anything pre-'97ish except FWD 5MT '93-'94 imprezas (which use the 23 spline inner cups)

I'm currently running Impreza stuff combined with XT6 stuff for my 5-lug. Up front I have the XT6 lower control arms, swaybar and outer tie rod ends. Impreza stuff is from a '96 and consists of the knuckle, hub, strut, and axle along with all the brake parts. I have 6k miles on my swap right now and no issues.

• 4 weeks later...
Ive been lookin into this 5 lug swap. Is it possible to do it on the rear as well. Im more or less curious about it:confused:

welcome. and keep searching. there's a list in the USRM (link at the top of the page) about it. and look for build threads by just about anyone who's posted in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

is the difference in length on the axle shaft or the splines?

i currently have legacy knuckle with axle in my rx now, see my 5 lug post in this forum for pics. the extreme angles in the pics are due to forester struts, not axle lenght. but i am running 25 splines on a turbo trans