Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wiring diagram for passing light (3rd eye) how is it done?

Hello,

I plan to soon be the owner of a 1984 GL Wagon.

Years ago,I had an '81, which had a passing light. Knowing how cool one of those can be, I purchase a passing light assembly for the new car.

I can't find a wiring diagram for it in the Bentley book.

I now realize this assembly is far from "plug and play", and I will have to do more than just run current to it.

Does the passing light circuit have some relays in it?

I have drawn out a quick 'n' dirty wiring diagram of the passing light assembly. The big rectangle with numbers represents the six terminal plug on the passing light unit.

The unit seems to work, as the light lights, the motor goes, and the position sensor (for lack of a better term) makes and breaks contacts.

Any suggestions or information on this would be appreciated.

passing_light_diag.jpg

I believe this one was done by Skip a while back.

centerlamp-wire.jpg

Skip's harness from the lamp is a bit different from mine. Also, I have the passing lamp assembly. I am interested in the harness which powers it.

I made a mistake on the first post. Here is the correction.

passing_light_diag_ver_12.jpg

• 1 month later...

Does anyone one know how to wire an aftermarket dpdt relay while still using the the stock switch? I have it working with a dpdt switch (without relay) but would really like to use the stock switch (with relay).

My relay looks like this

treemo.r_kirky.348704.or.jpg

and yes I am using this more to show my mad paint shop skills than anything:grin:

and yes I am using this more to show my mad paint shop skills than anything:grin:

Well played on the paintshop skills Rob!

Disregard the rest of my post, as I thought you were up to something totally different...

You do want to run the door too don't you?

If so, you're a little over my head.....:grin:

Does anyone one know how to wire an aftermarket dpdt relay while still using the the stock switch? I have it working with a dpdt switch (without relay) but would really like to use the stock switch (with relay).

My relay looks like this

treemo.r_kirky.348704.or.jpg

I have a writeup somewhere using a dpdt relay and stock switch. it wasdone by another board member.....

and yes :) the above diagram was one I did :mad: j/k :grin:

Yeah it's way cooler with the door working. Now I just have to dig deep and find the motivation to wire it into the cab. One step at a time.:)

I hear I'm spoiled that the one on my wagon works flawlessly...

I guess I shouldn't take it for granted! :eek:

• 6 months later...