Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$170. for a fuel filler pipe? wow.Ideas?

My 97 outback has a rust hole in the filler pipe and I thought I'd just go down to my friendly Sub. dealer.I fell over when I heard the cost. I haven't taken it out yet so I don't know how bad the hole is.I was hoping you guys may have some ideas for me.

Thanks,

collins

Remove the plastic at the bottom and see what you have left of the filler tube. You may want to run the RR up on ramps and climb under. That or remove the wheel. I kinda like things up as high as possible so that I can see under them. The filler tube will be shot at the lowest point.

I lucked out and found one at a junkyard recently off a 96 OBW and it still cost me 50 bucks. It is in great shape though. I sold the car before I had installed this filler tube. A threw it on the shelf for the next Suby that has this common, costly problem.

Dave

I was gonna try these steps - depending on how bad mine was. I couldn't believe that there was no aftermarket part available since they are a common and expensive replacement part. Perhaps due to liability issues?

Anyway I have a radiator shop that does 'redcoat' of gas tanks. I have them do my antiques when I have the gas tanks out. If it's pin holes this may work - atleast for a while.

The other possibility was an independent muffler shop that can bend pipe. Perhaps have them bend, then weld the piece in - off the vehicle of course. For this it would almost take a home made jig or another good filler tube.

I was shocked to find no good solutions here at USMB as well.

Dave

Thanks for all the good ideas.Great to have the input.I don't think I'll ever be done with this thing. Had a rebuilt engine put in last year(bad design with heads Subaru!!). Just this week- new front axle,struts now this gas leak. Oh well, keeps me out of the tavern.

Collins

Take the pipe out, media blast it, cut out the bad section and weld in a new peice of sheet metal. Send the thing out to be zinc coated.

Don't fool with rubber hose - VW used rubber on some of their stuff and the filler nozzle will chew it up. Helped a buddy at work pull dozens of strands of rubber out of his fuel system from the filler nozzle ripping up the rubber filler neck each time it was inserted.

GD