Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strut BOTTOM lift? (as opposed to strut TOP lift)

backwoodsboy

I don't know what kind of market there is for lifting WRXs but if you want a R&D project, I may be willing to offer my car as a test subject... It has been totaled (just a bunch of body damage) and is currently sitting in a garage awaiting my next move.

• 9 years later...

I see this thread died circa Obama's inauguration. That's enough time for SJR Scott or SOMEONE to have come up with something by now.  Amirite?

You guys were on the right path, but it looks like maybe it was a dead end??

I'm trying to run 235/75r15's on my 95 brighton wagon with forester struts and a set of 19 mil 5x100 to 5x5 adapters and some grabber AT2's on 7" American Racing AR172 -6 offset wheels.  If I have paid attention, our stock offset is +53.  With this setup, it goes to -25, which is doable as far as fender clearance and what I believe to be an acceptable low offset.  The problem however lies in the spring perch.  If you go to any tire size/offset comparison site, it'll tell you that the tallest and widest tire you can run before hitting the spring perch *with my calculations* is a 215/75r15.  

I'm not comfortable running more than an inch of wheel spacers, nor a crazy offset wheel, because I despise doing wheel bearings.  

Any new developments for strut bottom lifting?

Edited by punx2400

If you go to any tire size/offset comparison site, it'll tell you that the tallest and widest tire you can run before hitting the spring perch *with my calculations* is a 215/75r15.  

I'm not comfortable running more than an inch of wheel spacers, nor a crazy offset wheel, because I despise doing wheel bearings.  

Any new developments for bottom strut lifting?

I know you can fit 235/75/15 on 96-99 Outback struts that was with stock forester steelies

I saw an Anderson Fab kit on a car recently and it was a strut bottom lift....required 1" wheel spacers.

Wouldent it be easyer to use longer struts i would think it would be stronger too

yes it would be but they don;t exist.........

or nobodies done the legwork to find what they would fit from.

So yeah........Somebody get on that.

I cut the bottom brackets off an old set and welded them on so the bottom hole of the original lined up with the top hole of the brackets, just for extra beef and peace of mind. Gave me a couple inches.

You have to be VERY, VERY careful welding on struts though!!! **Explosion hazard** 

I wrapped mine with a wet rag next to the bottom and then propped a hose up to run water constantly on the upper part of the strut cylinder. Weld small sections at a time and wait awhile in between.

• 2 weeks later...