Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1st gen legacy seat belt issue - won't hold.

Just picked up a 94 for some autox/rallycross action, usually troublesome retraction works etc, but when you pull hard on either shoulder or lap belt - they just won't lock in place, so pretty useless and dangerous. True of all front belts. Rear belts are fine and lock like they should.

I'm new to 1st gen, so maybe I'm missing smth and there is some electrical issue afterall (belt light is not on)?

So the question how hard is it to fix(?)/replace?

I can't find any instructions so far, nothing in Haynes too, and I suppose all the 2nd generation FSMs I have are useless. I downloaded 90 FSM supplement but the relevant part is missing there.

Seems like shoulder belt should be just an issue of going to the j/y and taking the belt. But I have no idea how to get to lap belt, do I have to pull the carpet etc?

Mine are the same way in my 93 legacy. I think they only work when you floor it, hit the brakes, or I guess during impact. Not sure why they don't always work??
It's part of the design of the seat belt. When the seat belt's mechanism detects enough negative acceleration, the belt locks in position. You can test this by yanking on the seat belt very fast, and it should lock in position. I know the back belts in my 91 did. I know the fronts in my SVX do this as well.

You can test this by yanking on the seat belt very fast, and it should lock in position. I know the back belts in my 91 did.

Yes, that's what I did, and they won't lock. The rears lock when I pull them less than third as fast as the front ones (and that's about the same as I have to pull the belts on my 96 to lock them.

Yes, that's what I did, and they won't lock. The rears lock when I pull them less than third as fast as the front ones (and that's about the same as I have to pull the belts on my 96 to lock them.
I wonder if this has to do with the presence of an airbag? Maybe they don't want you locked in with the belt with the airbag present.

I wonder if this has to do with the presence of an airbag? Maybe they don't want you locked in with the belt with the airbag present.

No, its exactly the opposite in those years - they have to lock you in for airbag to do its job. Way later models (not sure any subarus do it) can adjust airbag power depending on seat belt status.

No, its exactly the opposite in those years - they have to lock you in for airbag to do its job. Way later models (not sure any subarus do it) can adjust airbag power depending on seat belt status.
But, my 91 had no airbags and it did that locking thing. *shrug*

They have a little counter weight in them. The only real way to find out is to do a control hard stop and see if they hold. Pulling them out fast doesnt always work.

nipper

Don't think so. I could easily generate acceleration comparable with hard stop with pulling the belt hard enough.

There's the two weights that lock the belt when it's pulled out hard enough, but there is often anothe weight that swings based on the motion of the body to lock the seatbelts. This is the one that locks the belts when you're on an offcamber hill or stopping/accelerating hard. The flywheights, which lock when you jerk the seatbelt, may be gummed up. The inertia lock weight may still be fine. Only real way to test is go out and hammer on the brakes, and see if the belt holds you back. The seatbelt retractors on your car are mounted in the center console. It's wicked easy to get to, there's usually a screw in the compartment under the elbow rest, and a couple on the side. Pull up the shifter boot surround, and undo the screws there. Pull on the handbrake, and slide the center console out over it. That will give you a good look at the shoulder belt retractors. The lap belt retractors are in the B-pillar.

There's the two weights that lock the belt when it's pulled out hard enough, but there is often anothe weight that swings based on the motion of the body to lock the seatbelts. This is the one that locks the belts when you're on an offcamber hill or stopping/accelerating hard. The flywheights, which lock when you jerk the seatbelt, may be gummed up. The inertia lock weight may still be fine. Only real way to test is go out and hammer on the brakes, and see if the belt holds you back. The seatbelt retractors on your car are mounted in the center console. It's wicked easy to get to, there's usually a screw in the compartment under the elbow rest, and a couple on the side. Pull up the shifter boot surround, and undo the screws there. Pull on the handbrake, and slide the center console out over it. That will give you a good look at the shoulder belt retractors. The lap belt retractors are in the B-pillar.

Thanks, I'm gonna get to shoulder belts tomorrow, but how hard is it to get to lap ones? Do I have to pull b-pillar and carpet?

Ok, tried pulling belts while braking and they do lock up, should be enough for daily drving for now. And if I see belts that lock up when pulled on some junkyard legacys - I'll swap mine. And I was thinking about harness/bar for rally/auto-x anyway.