Ultimate Subaru Message Board

(4.11 or 4.44 ring/pinion) into D/R EA82?

Will a 4.11 or 4.44 ring and pinion gear go into the the 5spd N/A EA82 Dual Range tranny?

Im like 100% sure that a 4.44 wont work. But dont some 5spd legacy's use the same front diff design and have a 4.11 gear?

someone on the xt boards just stuck 4.44 gears in his automatic 4EAT XT6 transmission. track times did not get much (if any) better yet and he said he didn't really notice much difference. it was originally stock 3.7.

don't know if that means much but you might want to check and see if there's really any gains to be had. i'm wondering if the EA/ER stuff just isn't powerful enough to make good with it? although an EJ25 (4.44) is only 20 hp more than an ER27 (XT6 w/3.7's).

I know it has been discussed. But the threads its in are so full of fluff I cant reconize the answer. The auto trannies are a totally different animal than the m/t.

I want the gear for offroading. I figure even a 4.11 will make a huge difference once Im in 4Lo. Im aware the carriers work, clutch LSD for me plz. But was hoping I could get a lower gear as well.

I have had a bunch of diffs apart and transmissions apart the carrier will fit but cant just swap the ring gear it has to have a different pinion gear that matches the 4.11 ring gear

Yes. What trannies did you have apart.

I want to swap the ring ang pinion gear in as a set. Do you think the ring/pinion gear (essentially the whole diffrential) from a 90-94 legacy 5m/t will go into the EA82 case?

Yes. What trannies did you have apart.

I want to swap the ring ang pinion gear in as a set. Do you think the ring/pinion gear (essentially the whole diffrential) from a 90-94 legacy 5m/t will go into the EA82 case?

ea81 dual range

ea82 dual range

ea82 pushbutton

ej 5 speed awd

the pinion shaft looks a lot longer in the ea case than the pinion shaft in the ej case which makes me belive that they arent interchangeable. BUT since the rx full time case has a center diff, i bet that shaft is the same length but havent ever taken apart that case.

ok, I'll do the searching for you.

one of the few times that mudrat ever really revealed his wealth of knowledge:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=395992&postcount=24

and the recipe for the 4.111 RX trans he was referring to:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=523048&postcount=17

short version is, as far as anyone knows, the EJ series pinion gears won't play with the EA center diff/transfer case. so if you want to keep true 4WD, you'd have to have a custom pinion made ($$$$$$). but it's possible if you convert to AWD.

When Phinzia put the 4.11 ring gear into a D/R AWD box, he had to grind the circumfrence of the ring gear to make it clear the case and the hi/lo range gear set. He reckoned a 4.44 probably wouldn't fit into the case without a whole lot (maybe too much) grinding.

The real down fall of the D/R transaxle for off roading is not the ring and pinion ratio- though it doesn't help any, the real problem is the crappy low range ratio. 1.59:1 is hardly any reduction. Most truck transfer cases are at least a 2:1 reduction in low range. The Dana 300 case that all the jeepers like for off roading is 4.0:1 low range reduction.

If you were able to swap to the 4.44 R&P from the 3.90, your crawl ratio would change from 22:1 up to 25:1, which is hardly any gain for the amount of work it would take to make the swap (lots of custom machining).

Andy