Ultimate Subaru Message Board
mkoch

Ignition left on, engine not running, damage?

I just had a 1984 GL Wagon 4wd delivered to me.

The key can be removed with the ignition still on. I thing the shipper left the ignition on while the car was being transported. It may have been left on for four days.

The battery now will not take a charge from a plug-in charger, 6 amp. The starter relay clicks after about 1/8 turn on the engine.

Maybe the coil, or the Electronic Control Unit were damaged? I'd like to know what might not be o.k. now.

mkoch

If you get the right charger on that battery, it should be able to blast the sulfate off the plates and bring it back. 6 amp isn't going to do it though - most of the decent high amp chargers are around 100 amps or so. Quick fix is to buy a new battery of course. There won't be any damage beyond that.

GD

Don't feel bad about being able to remove the key. My Brat is like that and its great on cold mornings, cause I can go out and start it and go back in my apartment to wait.

That's common with worn out keys. If you have a new key ground from the passenger door lock code it probably won't come out like that on it's own. My hatch does it too, and the worn out key is annoying and barely works.

GD

I dont know. My RX is nice and tight and my SVX can fall out (same with the Hatch). The springs might be wore out on the cams inside the switch.

Mine doesnt come out, but it's really loose. It'll fall out one of these days.

+1 on the heavy keychain ruining the cylinder

as for the battery, i'd say replace it. mind as well, if it's a long term vehicle.