Ultimate Subaru Message Board

leaking massive oil out the exhaust

Well you guessed it you have an oil leak, where from, could be from a few places, my guess would be the front oil seal or maybe the rocker covers, but anywhere, as for the smoke, the oil is just leaking onto the exhaust. to find the leak clean down the engine till no traces of oil then start the car and see where it is coming from.

Thierry

So I just now got underneath the car and took off the exhaust shield thingy which allowed me to see that there was a really clean area (from a flow of oil moving over it) right in the middle of the block and head. So I guess that means it's a headgasket? And, since I've never changed one before, please tell me - do valves and springs and crap fall out when you unbolt a head or do they stay put?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have to pull the engine. There doesn't seem to be enough clearance (on my 78) to clear the frame. Also, you need to be careful when installing the head to make sure the intake manifold mating surface is parallel with the mating surface on the other head to insure a good seal (there is some slop) when reinstalling the intake manifold. When removing the head be prepared for the head to hang up on crud on the mounting studs or the intake manifold bolts to snap. I would go with a premium quality head gasket that does not require a retorque.