Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering and tie rod question, 95 legacy

On my 95 Legacy L wagon, there seems to be some resistance in the steering when its in the straigt forward position. If I jack up the car and move the steering wheel from left to right, there is a sort of clunk noise. It doesn't seem like its anyhting that can just lock up on me, BUT... that is my question. I don't really know how the steering is set up on these and I was wondering if there is anything in there that can fail and cause me to not be able to turn.

Also, there is a very slight amount of play in the driver side wheel from left to right. It seems to be right where the inner and outer tie rods meet up, under the boot. Its not bad yet, but I was wondering if that very slight amount of play could be causing the vibration I'm getting on the highway. The car has 260,000 miles on it so I'm basically not trying to dump much money into it. I can deal with some discomfort as long as its not going to end up killing me.

edit.gif

The inner tie rod may be causing your problem, when mine were bad I had lots of play at the nine and three. Jack up the front and check, also spin the wheel and put your hand on the coil spring if it feels rough then it could be a wheel bearing. Also check the steering shaft U-joint.

Give her a good firm shake down. Like for tie rods, if you grasp the inner tie rod where it meets the outer tie rod and give good yanks in various directions you shouldn't feel any looseness. Inner or outer tie rod issues should be feelable this way.

There is play where they meet for sure, but what should I actually replace? Is it the inner or outer when there is play here? If I can get away with only replacing one, thats what I'd like to do. Thanks in advance.

You need to see where the play is. When you shake where the outer tie rod end is thread on to the inner tie rod, do you see any play at that junction? Like maybe get one hand on the outer tie rod end and the other on the inner and see if you spot any play at that junction there where the jam nut is.

If you don't see any play there, then it may be the inner tie rod where it meets the rack.

I just discovered this play on the left front on my '96 and '00. I could hear the play when I shook it but it took a while to figure out it was coming from the inner tie rod ends. At first I thought it was normal, but the front right are dead solid, no clicking or freeplay at all when shaking them.