Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Guest LostWater

EA-81 Hatch, disc brake conver., brakes drag

Guest LostWater

Hey all,

I swapped over disc brakes to my EA-81 hatch this past weekend, took less than two hours.

The problem is, teh brakes drag on the rear. I thought that it might be because the rotor was rusted, but now the rust is scraped off and it still drags, pretty badly. :( Anybody have any ideas? I hope a caliper rebuild is not in order.

All help will be be appreciated.

Mark

Christiansburg, VA

86 EA-81 hatch

69 Subaru 360 Sambar (x2)

69 Subaru 360 Truck (x2)

LostWater@LostWater.com

Guest archemitis

or drive it for a while. is it bad? were they off a car that wasnt used for years. sometimes they get sticky for a while.

Guest x silvershad0w x

Take a look at your caliper assembly, you have two bolts that hold the caliper to the backing plate, and another two that are the slides for the caliper unit. My guess is you just need to disassemble those, clean them out remove and any surface rust that might be on the slide pins, and lubricate them well with a high temp grease, or you can use a high temp anti-seize compond. My guess is the calipers are not returning to thier full released position, some resistance on the slider(s) is holding one pad against your rotor with some force.

Make sure the rotors are "clean", and check runout with a dial indicator if you have one. Have them turned if they are beyond specs. Rear discs take forever to clean off rust by just driving the car, its worth it to have em turned if you ask me.