Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Okay, All of a sudden my blower does not turn on for heat or A/C. I have a 2001 outback. I have checked the fuse's, 2 of them under the dash. Both of these were okay. I did some reading on this site and heard somehting about a relay? Not sure where this is located? Any other ideas on what to check. I'm going to check the fuse under my hood when I get out of work, I need to figure out which one it id first. I'm also going to look for the blower as I have no idea where this is located either. I have had the car for 5yr and 135K miles and have yet to have any problems. I dont think it's the motor but dont how to check/fix this probelm. Help anyone? Thanks

Sounds like a burned out blower motor resistor, it's a fairly cheap and easily replaced part.

On the newer cars it's located in the HVAC housing, down by where the fan is. Probably in a similar location on yours, it's placed there so it's in the airflow for cooling as the resistor element generates a lot of heat.

Look for a second electrical plug near where the fan plugs in, if it's attached to a small module that screws into the housing that's it.

like you said it can be the relay too...

If the motor isn't working on any of the speeds, including high, then the resistors are probably ok. The relay is the most likely suspect and is most likely under the dash possibly near the steering column. They plug into a socket and it may be round.

I also just noticed none of the lights under the blower speed works. Which are the rear defrost, a/c, and there's one other. Did this sound more like the relay than the resistor? I'm going to the library today to see if I can get the Chiltons on the car. If anyone knows excatly where it is please let me know. Any info is helpful. Thanks

I got to a subaru manual and there seems to be 2 relay's under the hood. One is the main fan relay and the other is the sub fan relay. Anyone know what the differance is between the 2. Is there a way to test these?

There is also 2 fuses under the hood. One for the main fan fuse and the other is for the sub main fuse. These are in addition to the 2 fuses in the fuse box under the steering column.

Ideas?

The lights to those areas you mention are on a different circuit. The light bulbs may just be burned out.

If the blower isn't working at any speed then the trouble is most likely with the relay. It could also be the blower motor itself is jammed or bad.

I got to a subaru manual and there seems to be 2 relay's under the hood. One is the main fan relay and the other is the sub fan relay. Anyone know what the differance is between the 2. Is there a way to test these?

There is also 2 fuses under the hood. One for the main fan fuse and the other is for the sub main fuse. These are in addition to the 2 fuses in the fuse box under the steering column.

Ideas?

It seems you're referring to the radiator fans and associated fuses rather than the heating and A/C blower circuit. The info I have shows a fuse #17 through which power to the blower and A/C relay coils is provided. That's in addition to fuses #1 and #2 from which power to the blower motor relay contacts is obtained.