Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what do you get for gas mileage?

as we all know us subaru owners have to give up something to have the wonderful awd and it seems to be the gas mileage. But I always wonder what other people get with their roos.

So put what you got, tranny, miles, where you drive it and how.

I'll start

1996 Legacy Outback 2.2, 5 speed, 211k, around town and like a grandma

Best so far 24mpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting roughly 28 mpg with mixed driving..not babying it...But my last tank I wanted to see what I would get if I "stayed off the throttle" some ( taken the other night on the way to work.)

ATT00163.jpg

08 Impreza 2.5i 5 door 5 spd...11,000 miles mixed driving..just shy of 100 miles a day

94 legacy Wagon

97 EJ22 Longblock, single port heads

5MT from 96 impreza so my final drive is now 3.9 instead of the origional 4.11

Header and 2" custom catback.

16" wheels turning 205/55/16 tires

Mixed driving I get around 24.5 mpg with a lead foot. My commute take me over Cornelius Pass Rd, From Hwy26 to Hwy30 everyday. I usually drive up the pass in 3rd at about 50mph if the traffic will let me.

A couple of months ago I took a trip up to the north end of Seattle and back in one day. I kept the cruise control set to 5mph over the speed limit. The trip was just over 360 miles and I did it on one tank of gas, getting about 28 mpg, on snow tires.

'91 Legacy Sport Sedan, 2.2T, auto, 308,000 miles, aftermarket crossover, up, down, no cats. Full boost:19psi

In the city, between 8mpg, and 24mpg, depending on how it is driven.

On the highway, @2500 rpm, 36mpg.

In temperatures less than 10C knock 2mpg off.

In temperatures less than -15C all bets are off (it's a LOT worse).

(Not AWD but just thought I'd share anyway)

Recently picked up a 1993 Subaru Impreza wagon, 2wd 5spd. Delivered here from Nasheville, drove the guy back to Nasheville and back here to Morristown (475 mile round trip) and averaged 33mpg at 74mph, 3,250 rpm.

Edit: It just dawned on me that it got driven 750ish miles just in that one night. Well, it passed the test drive.

97 Impreza 2.2 Auto wagon. With 205-60-15 tires. Chevron reg 87 unleaded. Nothing else. 5/30 oil

Seattle area in bad weather/snow (nearly constant AWD) 19-22

Puyallup-Edmonds on a raining Saturday at 5 AM doing 60+ all but the last 5 miles, and the very first mile, with a missing cam pin (in other words, no timing!), a 'Lady, you're on fire' oil leak and really bad .085 worn-out (naw, really???) plugs: 24

Puyallup-Phoenix after a timing belt service and plugs, with a full load (max GVWR - maybe over it :eek: ) 26.5 in the Siskiyous (clear pavement, no rain), 29.3 from clear but c-c-c-o-l-d Weed to Dunnigan (N of Sacramento), 25.8 with the A/C on all the way from Kettleman City (Cal Central Valley area) to Phoenix. The route (I-5 to 58 to 15 to 40 to the Vegas road into Phoenix) has constant up-and-downs (and a few passes) once you get east of Needles. Most of the trip was at 70 in WA, 65 in OR, 70-75 in CA, and 75 in AZ.

Average for the whole 1545 mile trip: over 26. I'll bet that would go up without all the extra weight (or the roof rack). If the A/C hadn't been on, who knows? I might have hit 30+. Dragon seems to get better mileage at speeds OVER 55. Matter of fact, I had to keep an eye on the speed. Once I hit 75, she had a tendency to accelerate, even uphill, if I so much as twitched on the gas pedal. A couple times I caught her doing 90 between Barstow and Needles even in a pretty good crosswind (and, no, I didn't want to be going that fast). She didn't even go over 3000 RPM to do it, either.

(no cruise control)

96 outback wagon with 98 2.5 dohc auto trans 254k; 22 city, 29 highway @ 60 25@ 67. It needs rear wheel bearings so that may be lowering the mpg

99 outback 5mt 2.5 dohc 200k; 24 city regularly 27 highway. tomorrow I am doing a road trip, so I can update then.

I think the winter formulation of gas here has been hurting the mileage:(

1997 Impreza OBS EJ22 automatic - all stock, synthetic oil. 24-27 highway

I'll bet that would go up without all the extra weight
that might not make a difference. maybe it's vehicle/model dependent but i've found that empty or loaded (couple/few hundred pounds even) an XT6 or impreza OBS gets the same highway mileage.

My lifted 82 wagon (EA81 weber, 4spd hi/lo) gets about 24 mpg.

Remind me to never buy a new Sub for a gas saver. My 9c1 Caprice gets 24 mpg.... :-p and that doesn't matter if its loaded to the brim, or totally empty. God bless kinetic energy.

I really wouldn't save much by getting rid of it.

1991 Legacy stationwagon 2.0 2wd 4eat, NO a/c, no cruise. 250.000 km

With wintertires its 2 to 3mpg lower, although they are overpresured by 0.2 bar to save some extra. Just have to check the tire wear well for bad wear tracks.

On average its 24mpg,

In the city from 10 to 20 mpg depends on weather and distance

On the highway 65m/h around 28mpg.

2005 outback wagon 2.5, AWD, 4eat with A/c and cruise (on LPG/propane) 115.000 km

18mpg on average, on gasoline around 28mpg.

(it will be fixed soon again after kissing with a tree :mad:)

1995 Impreza L, 1.8, 5 speed, 150k miles. I get around 28 combined. 28 to 30 if pure freeway driving (road trips). City driving doesn't usually drag the mileage down too bad (unless I'm in a real hurry or going mental). I usually drive like a grandma, lug the engine on light acceleration ~1600 rpm, coast a lot, think about timing the traffic lights; I'll even often stop the engine on long red lights.

I'm thinking on getting bigger tires on my next set (185 75 r14), because I think the fwy miles could be better, and would be improved by keeping the rpm's under 3000, which doesn't happen much in today's typical 70 to 75 mph fwy driving.

1993 Impreza L, 180K, 5 speed, averages 28 with mixed driving, 30-32 on pure hwy. I've owned the car for about a year and have tracked every tank for milage. I am very happy with these 1.8 engines. I wish Subaru would come out with another econmical car for the U.S. market.