Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Guys, I've been reading everywhere the EJ-22 is considered to be one of the most reliable Subie engines. I'd be happier if I could boost the power, though. What cheap mods could work best (headers, exhaust, etc...)?. Thanks in advance.:popcorn:

Guys, I've been reading everywhere the EJ-22 is considered to be one of the most reliable Subie engines. I'd be happier if I could boost the power, though. What cheap mods could work best (headers, exhaust, etc...)?. Thanks in advance.:popcorn:
Without getting some sort of forced induction, you're not going to gain much more than 5-10hp without spending a lot of money.

for the most part it's not worth it. very minimal gains to be had. turbo's can create significant gains with simple modifications, but NA cars can not.

if you're still wanting to do it - then just go by some intake, exhaust and whatever stuff you want on the car and put them on. it won't matter too much what you do really.

the EJ22 isn't that difficult to turbo....but that's another can of worms.

your best bet is probably nasioc for stuff like this.

Definitely not the place to be asking about mods. Another vote for NASIOC.

This place is as good as any. Go to NASIOC if you want to be ridiculed or made fun of.

If you want to talk to a group of Legacy experts. I suggest you visit http://bbs.legacycentral.org

As far as cheap & free mods go. Try cutting the snorkus out of your air intake box. Its the large section bolted to the inside of your fender.

Check your junkyard for a "diamond" coilpack. They put out alittle more juice. Your car may already have one. But if not, its a cheap mod.

Like said above, none of these will net you more than 2-5hp at the end. The best thing you can do for your money right now would be to get a new exhaust system. Intake and Exhaust is about all you can really do to a N/A 2.2

-Brian

Intake and Exhaust is about all you can really do to a N/A 2.2

-Brian

i was checking into this awhile ago and didn't see much in terms of specifics. like what exhaust size, swap muffler and cat and what people noticed. an XT6 auto's can get a few more highway mpg just by putting in a different muffler. haven't seen any similar comments about EJ22 stuff but i'd like to know.

Its just common knowledge really. Better exhaust = better performance.

I believe the stock exhaust pipe is 2.25" but I maybe wrong. 2.5" would be a decent increase, you still need backpressure with a N/A engine so you dont want to go super huge.

Right now, my car has no muffler. There really isnt much of a performance gain because its a turbo car and I still have the stock downpipe... the turbo cant tell if i have a muffler or not (but my ears can :grin: )

Any muffler shop should be able to piece together a decent setup for under $300.

copy that. from mpg numbers it seemed like the XT6 did best with 2.25" pipe after the cat and better muffler (dynomax straight through). i tried larger set ups, removing the cat, straight pipes, high flow converters...etc and it seemed to be worse, maybe it's just mine.

i can piece together/weld my own set up so that's not an issue.

i'll probably try the same thing with my legacy then. measure the pipe, bump it up one diameter and get a different muffler.