Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seam welding

Ok so I was rotating my tires today, in my driveway, no time to do it at evit :mad: and after getting the right rear side tire off the ground, about 2.5 3 inches, I placed it on stands and went to the front, when I got the front up to the same height, I put a stand under it, and look at the rear... It was back on the ground....

So I said to my self "Self, this cars chassis is not very stiff at all, I wonder if any of the guys (and girls ;) ) on usmb have seamwelded/fully caged one of these cars, so after searching a bit, I found only a handful of seamwelding posts, so it appears that not many of you plan on having these cars as your weekend racer :rolleyes: ... but I was wondering if any of you have expierimented with seamwelding, either on these or on any car, and what were the results, if your really cool youll give me the weight added from the welding.

The reason I am asking this is, before too long I should (hopefully) graduate highschool and have a full time job at either a dealership or mcdonalds or whoever gives me the best deal... anyways, I will be slowly fixing up my -10 to try and get it AutoX worthy. yes i know i can autocross it as is, but Im in it to actually not be last, maybe even top 5 :burnout:. I will eventually have a car that will handle, and it will do so because I made the modifications to it. so wow After realizing I am writing a novel, Im out, tell me what you guys know about it.

Seam welding takes alot of time and would require you to remove most of your interior to perform the welding. Also any sound deadening would come out at the same time. It does make a big differance on chasiss stiffness but unless your making a dedicated track car or a really bad rump roast turbo'ed impreza with a cage and ball bearing t67...probally not worth the hassle.

That being said, the interior seams from the dash back probally wouldnt be that hard to do and would stiffen up the car alot. I can give you a hand preparing it and welding it if your serious.

Im not sure a rollcage would be a good idea. Your Golden retriever would have to wear a helmet to ride in the back.

Hey,

I have an eighty seven GL, 2 wd, 5 speed wagon. If I put a jack under the right rear tow hook, jack it up, the front will lift off the ground as well.

If I remember correctly, there was three quarters inch difference between the front and rear tires, and the floor.

That's not bad at all. Not sure about front to rear.

If I drive my 4wd up a bank, sideways, kinda. Say right tire contact with the bank, the left front tire will be off the ground, and I'm sitting pretty level in the car.

Not bad at all. The RX sedans that won the WRC championship were seam welded, with reinforcing plates.

That would be even better, for sure.

Just thoughts,

Doug

Seam welding takes alot of time and would require you to remove most of your interior to perform the welding. Also any sound deadening would come out at the same time. It does make a big differance on chasiss stiffness but unless your making a dedicated track car or a really bad rump roast turbo'ed impreza with a cage and ball bearing t67...probally not worth the hassle.

That being said, the interior seams from the dash back probally wouldnt be that hard to do and would stiffen up the car alot. I can give you a hand preparing it and welding it if your serious.

Im not sure a rollcage would be a good idea. Your Golden retriever would have to wear a helmet to ride in the back.

well t67 turdbos are for chumps, and so are imprezas :cool: and you better give me a hand since its my throttle position sensor you will be using.

On another note, the wrc cars used reinforcing plates? please do tell