Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Coupes Journey!! Is Over..He is in CT!!

Ive got a question for ya connie. If those vehicles ride on top of those car carriers they look like there straped down pretty tight because the suspensions are bottomed out. Do you know what they do.

Ben

I know I'm not Connie Lol, But from what I've seen when my parents 99' Blazer's been flat beded. They take the straps and put them on something Such as the frame (On a full frame vehicle) and tight'n it down. I don't know what they do to Uni frame vehicles.. Never seen one flat beded, Nor have I ever seen a Subaru on a flat bed or being towed at all. :)

I know I'm not Connie Lol, But from what I've seen when my parents 99' Blazer's been flat beded. They take the straps and put them on something Such as the frame (On a full frame vehicle) and tight'n it down. I don't know what they do to Uni frame vehicles.. Never seen one flat beded, Nor have I ever seen a Subaru on a flat bed or being towed at all. :)

I stuck my hooks in the factory installed "loops" at all four corners of my 89 GL-10 wagon to tie it to my flat bed trailer. I have hook "clusters" with several different hooks on them. Then I attach my chains or straps to the cluster. That's what most dedicated (full-size semi) car carriers use also, except they have their hook clusters permanently mounted on the end of chains. And the chains go around ratchets built into the carrier, which they use a 2-foot bar to tighten.

Some veicles have slots in the frame (or uni-body frame rails) that carriers hook into, but I'm not sure if Subs have these, and I'd rather use the loops than the slotsanyway. Using the slots, it's ofen a lot harder to reach them, and a lot of times the hole gets distorted from you pulling on it.

I have towed A LOT of cars. Most import cars have better tie down points like this than American cars. I always heard (may not be true) that this was because of the need to tie imports down better on their journey from overseas. Or maybe it's just better planning on the part of the imports. :) Imports seem to have at least one good hook point front and another rear. And if you're lucky there is one at all 4 corners.

Ben ..It sure looks like they are going rt 80 .. The tracking though doesnt seem to be as "live" as they say..it seems to be when they reach a check point that it changes:-\

Word on the street from a great friend of mine who drives 18wheelers is that the car haulers drive solo so he'll have to stop every 10 hours for a break. Also he's of the opinion that they'll come I80 across.

Word on the street from a great friend of mine who drives 18wheelers is that the car haulers drive solo so he'll have to stop every 10 hours for a break. Also he's of the opinion that they'll come I80 across.

Actually if he is solo he can work a 14 hour day, 11 of which can be spent driving. The rest can be spent admiring the Subaru :grin: Or loading / unloading other lesser vehicles from the truck at waypoints. After the workday a 10 hour break must be taken.

Actually if he is solo he can work a 14 hour day, 11 of which can be spent driving. The rest can be spent admiring the Subaru :grin: Or loading / unloading other lesser vehicles from the truck at waypoints. After the workday a 10 hour break must be taken.

If hes in iowa tomorrow let me know and i will camp out to wait for that truck to roll through town.

Ben