Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is it possible for 5 speed swap in gen 1

nevbrat

5 speed d/r, or 2wd? the dual range you will need a lift or some custom metal work on the trans tunnel or it wont fit. Also you would need a fat case EA71 ebgine bellhousing or a modified(?) EA81 engine bellhousing for the trans to mount to the motor, as well as custom tranny crossmember, driveshaft, and linkage. Doing a 5 speed/EA81 swap in a 80 Brat right now, 3 inch lift in the front, 6+ in the rear.

The 2wd 5 speed was available in that body style, would be a bolt in I would imagine, you'd just have to dump the rear 4wd stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I have fit an EA81 with 4 spd d/r into my old 79 wagon. It did however require some creativity. The 4x4 shift leaver was tricky but a little tweek here and a bend there and a few modifies parts and it is a scream'n machine. Sold it to a friend a couple of years ago and it is now over 450,000 mi. All he does is change the oil and put gas in it. I love the EA motor. GD is right, before I did the swap I had it over 100mph several times with the old EA71 stock set-up. Why else would they come stock with a speedometer that goes up to 140 mph :grin: It is not a transmission problem.